Beyond the Ariel - Page 236 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2007, 02:05 PM   #2351
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by audiokinesis
I just finished up a new speaker that I'll be debuting at RMAF. It's a controlled-pattern bipole, and I don't know of anyone else who's doing a speaker with quite this same package of design characteristics.
Hi Duke. Looking forward to hearing it. I'll be on the floor just below you, in the Audiomagus room.

From the looks of the speakers on your website and the drivers you're using, they should sound great!

I get to Denver Wednesday morning and may have 24 or more hours with nothing to do (depending on when the rest of the crew show up) so I may stop by your room early.
Old 9th October 2007, 05:29 PM   #2352
diyAudio Member

Thanks very much, panomaniac! I won't get to Denver until Thursday, but you're more than welcome to come by. We'll probably be spending the first few hours moving stuff in and setting stuff up.

Duke
Old 11th October 2007, 04:09 AM   #2353
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey all.

Just a reminder for your visit to RMAF starting tomorrow.

Remember to be in the Lowther America room Friday night by around 6 PM to hear an A/B comparison of treated and untreated PM6A drivers, put on by Jon Ver Halen himself. This is in suite 1128.

Jon has said he will attempt to have the A45 drivers there on demo also.

Thom Makris is just down the hall in suite 1130 and he will have the just finished A45 drivers in hand and may well have them in the Le Cleach flare Azura horns for you to listen to. Certainly will be another take on EnABL, on lively drivers, being horny and strutting their stuff.

Also our Panomaniac is going to treat a pair of drivers, in Denver, for display in room 1021. So if you can reach him through Audiomagus you might get to speak with him directly about treating full range drivers. He will have treated two sets and that lofts him into expert class.

Enjoy and be sure to listen to and report on as much as you can, about everyone's endeavors, not just one's started with seeds from my pea patch.

Bud
Old 12th October 2007, 05:58 AM   #2354
diyAudio Member

I'll be there!

Also expect to meet up with Alexander of RAAL, buy a pair of the new high-efficiency RAAL double-high ribbon tweeters he brought over from Serbia, and spend time chatting with Edward West from the Seattle area - he's using the 18Sound 8NMB420 for a project of his own, and is generously loaning another pair to evaluate over the next month or so. John Atwood arrived early this evening and is staying at my place in Erie, Colorado, about 30 miles north of the RMAF show.

Friday (and Saturday and Sunday) are going to be a lot of fun! Look forward to seeing all of you!
Old 12th October 2007, 02:36 PM   #2355
diyAudio Member

To all you folks going to RMAF, have a great time! The rest of us that can't attend are anxiously waiting on reports of what's cool and what's not...

Gary
Old 15th October 2007, 02:58 PM   #2356
diyAudio Member

So ? No RMAF impressions yet, everyone still stunned ? OB + waveguides + CDs (Emerald Physics CS2) is the order of the day or ribbons are still top of list ?

Old 15th October 2007, 03:18 PM   #2357
diyAudio Member

Yes, how about a report for those of us with our noses pressed to the window?!

Ray
Old 15th October 2007, 03:48 PM   #2358
diyAudio Member

Default Rmaf

We are waaaay behind AudioAsylum on this one...
Old 15th October 2007, 05:58 PM   #2359
diyAudio Member

Default Emerald Physics CS2 at RMAF

How about this rave about the CS2 from Emerald Physics:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...?topic=46315.0

Russell
Old 15th October 2007, 11:52 PM   #2360
diyAudio Member

Default LTO on RMAF

Favorite Loudspeakers: Feastrex fullrange drivers, AudioKinesis, and RAAL tweeters. First time I've heard any of these, and impressed with all of them. It underlined the point that the sound quality of the driver was more important than the choice of cabinet style or radiation pattern.

Mixed Impression: The Emerald Physics had great bass and midbass, but a lot more sizzle than I liked from the horn/waveguide. The AudioKinesis had a much better HF - and it should have, since the AK compression driver was a $180 driver compared to the $50 CD in the Emerald, and the AK had a very sophisticated and silky-smooth crossover. The AK system of using an additional rear-facing waveguide was quite successful in what I knew was a very difficult room.

My own system: I listened to my own system right after the show, and can say the Denon HT receiver sounds pretty miserable driving the Ariels. In truth it's a good question how true the Ariels are to the original design - the drivers are supposed to be the same models, but they don't sound as good as I remember the originals. One minor project for this fall is getting the Karna amplifiers back up and running again.

Can't Tell: Yes, I was at the EnABL vs non-EnABL listening session. The assessment was complicated by the fact that the system was bi-amped with a 75 Hz active crossover, and the non-EnABL and EnABL PM6A Lowthers had different impedances at 8 and 16 ohms, thus the guesstimate for the bass-level adjustment was off. This led to the subjective impression of more warmth for the non-EnABL, which I knew was a demo artifact.

Actually, EnABL makes no tonal differences at all, as far as I could tell - a Lowther still sounds very much like a Lowther. Time performance for EnABL may have been a little better, the image was definitely more spacious, mostly in the left-to-right direction. The most evident difference was a subjective drop in what sounded like 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortion - this was mostly good, but did have the drawback of revealing things about the system I didn't care for - gritty-sounding Kimber Kable and possibly the Nelson Pass amplifiers. I'm not much of a fan of hyper-expensive garden-hose-sized cables or transistor amps on efficient speakers, so I can't honestly say how much that biassed my impression of the overall sound.

Overall impression of EnABL: Considerably more open and revealing, but may reveal things about your system you don't like - the tide goes down, you see all kinds of critters you never saw before.

Strongest Afterimage: The RAAL tweeters and what they did to the Lowther PM6A's. Wow. The last time I heard treble like that was the Plasmatronics in 1979. I think these tweeters would improve any loudspeaker - yes, I think they're better than the Goto compression-driver supertweeters or the Acapella ion tweeter, and I've heard both.

Hide this!Advertise here!