Beyond the Ariel - Page 20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2007, 07:31 AM   #191
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johninCR
Lynn,
I'll definitely try that. I do plan to bridge the gap with wood and fill the interior with sand to make the entire unit quite massive and dead. I just hope to avoid a convex curve, since that would add size. If I can get away with a concave shape, I think it would be better in terms of aesthetics, or maybe just slightly inset flat pieces.
Simple is best. Use flat pieces of acrylic, fill in the voids and smooth the acrylic edges with modeling clay, all done. I would avoid the concave shapes, these are bad news acoustically.
Old 12th April 2007, 08:04 AM   #192
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by BudP
I have been sent a pair of Lowther's to treat.
FE127s on their way too...

dave
Old 12th April 2007, 12:59 PM   #193
Paul W is offline Paul W  United States
diyAudio Member

Bud,
As I understand EnABL, "before and after" results should be visible in CSD plots...correct or no? Would you point me to a comparison? (Sorry if I missed it elsewhere.)
Thanks,
Paul
Old 12th April 2007, 04:50 PM   #194
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Lynn stated:
Quote:
I suspect the Progressive-Loss Mesh is a good way to do it, provided the holes are small enough and there are enough of them (hundreds or thousands)
A gradual decrease in density and thickness of felt comes to mind....

F-rated felts are available from McMaster-Carr.

There are also materials in the category of geo-synthetics which may be of use: non-woven fabrics in a range of thicknesses and densities. They are used for soil and embankment stabilization. Bulk prices are ~$1/sy.
Old 12th April 2007, 07:18 PM   #195
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Paul,

I am sorry to report ignorance here. I do not know what CSD stands for. There are some time domain plots in my white paper posted at Positive Feed Back on line. Look in the last few pages. I did not perform these tests, Larry Arnst in Portland ran them from his Franklin (Mac copy) back in 1986. I do still have those original plots.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Iss...ndingwaves.htm

I do not have the financial wherewithal to afford a MLSSA system, but the testing I did with a DOS based Lincoln Audio suit showed very little difference in before and after harmonic distortion plots, out to 9th order This is in line with listening tests, as the "character" does not change but a lot of extra information disappears.

I realize that sounds worrisome but the information that disappears is not related to the sources. It is just noise and since it is no longer in support of an information packet, the correlator finds it very interesting until it proves non threatening and then dismisses it and listens through it. It's removal is somewhat startling, and then you discover how deeply you can actually hear into the reproduced event. Not that you cannot already do that, but it can be tiring and post treatment it is effortless.

Bud
Old 12th April 2007, 07:57 PM   #196
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by BudP
I do not know what CSD stands for. There are some time domain plots in my white paper posted at Positive Feed Back on line. Look in the last few pages. I did not perform these tests, Larry Arnst in Portland ran them from his Franklin (Mac copy) back in 1986.
CSD = cumulative spectral display = waterfall plot. Even these may not reveal all. The kinds of things i envisage enABLE doing (& similarily many of the tricks i use) are affecting the drivers performance 30-40 dB (or more) down from the main level of the signal. Rooting them out with currently en-vogue measuring kit can be tricky.

dave

PS a Franklin was an Apple II clone and had nothing to do with the Macintosh.
Old 12th April 2007, 08:20 PM   #197
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the information.

The plots in the white paper come from that sort of analysis. I did not keep the original waterfall but the three time sequences are from that test. The final plot has always been the important one to me as it clearly shows the ringing going on in the untreated tweeter and just how much of that ringing has disappeared in the treated tweeter. Some of the vacant areas were already 60 dB down for the treated tweeter.

I would not have known the difference between an Apple 2, a Mac or an IBM / Microsoft computer at the time. Only barely do now.

Bud
Old 12th April 2007, 08:41 PM   #198
SunRa is offline SunRa  Romania
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I've been following the thread for some time now and I must say I'm most intersted as for some years now I feel there are some things changeing in the audio scene. And I think that Mr. Lynn Olson is one of the most important designers who helped with this change in the perspective (only if I mention the design of new push-pull amplifiers like amity and karna).

As I know you are searching for a coax driver. I think you should consider the KM30 from PHY-HP

A search will reveal lot's of intersting reviews. A friend of mine recently auditioned a pair (he ownes a supravox 215 in OB with two 15" emminence per side, a la bd-design) and he said this is his reference driver for now on. Some other owners of the KM30 say it's superior to tannoy drivers. I am not really a fan of large midrange drivers but I guess this should suit the initial requirments.

Secondly I'd like to ask Mr. Olson why do you consider a concave shape beeing bad news for audio? I was considering a wide open baffle with a fullrange (or coax) on top and two 12" or 15" per side. The baffle I imagined was almost a clone of the SonusFaber Stradivarius having kind of a convex-concave shape, the main diffrence beeing the treatment I am still thinking at (foam, carpet, EnABL... I don't know, still watching this thread )
Old 12th April 2007, 09:53 PM   #199
diyAudio Member

Sun Ra

Were I building your dream I would put Mamboni's treatment on the back of all drivers bigger than 8" in diameter, the EnABL on the front, to clean up the 30% of ringing that will likely remain and do the same thing for the baffles.

On the Baffles the Mamboni will likely slow the back wave propagation just a tiny amount and allow the front wave to meet with it, at a greater than 180 degree reference angle for the null zone. I think that this might be beneficial in sound stage portrayal.

What do you guy's with actual experience with these things think?

Bud
Old 12th April 2007, 10:17 PM   #200
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SunRa
KM30 from PHY-HP
I don't know how it is priced in Europe, but by the time it gets here it is seriously expensive. And i have not been all that impressed with it in the listening i have heard at the local dealer (where it sits collecting dust because no one else was either)

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!