Beyond the Ariel - Page 149 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2007, 07:53 AM   #1481
R.I.P.

Hi Lynn,

I think one of the most important aspects of recovering from, or coping with a serious injury when suddenly stuck at home is - the computer - with its Internet access to friendships and the writings of others.

Cheers ............ Graham.
Old 11th July 2007, 03:14 PM   #1482
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mige0
Hi

Earl, looking from an OS wave guide point of view - is there any "best throat shape" for 180 degree ( flat baffle ) given a direct radiating dome or cone speaker ?

Greetings
Michael
I don't understand the question.
Old 11th July 2007, 07:01 PM   #1483
DDF is offline DDF  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: What Awaits

Quote:
Originally posted by Lynn Olson
The gear you see in the picture (taken last December) has been patiently awaiting my return - the MLSSA/DOS computer on the left, the CC-2 power amp on the right, and the 1/2" ACO Pacific microphone and low-diffraction stand assembly at the top of picture. The WinXP dual Athlon HTPC with its M-Audio 192/24 soundcard will join it after I buy and install SoundEasy.
Interesting MLSSA set-up Lynn. I spent years (literally) trying to find a DOS lunch box to run MLSSA on, for the portability and compatability.

In the end, I found a half height PIII 350Hz for $30 at a computer recycler, and threw on a 24x CDRW from an older machine. It works like a peach. Next step is to buy an old 15" LCD with removable stand and just velcro it to the side of the PC, and add a handle to the top. The lunch-box reborn! Should all come in <$100.

Portable, much faster than the old lunch box and I can dual boot into windows. Final nicety is the drive, which allows me to discard the nasty floppies and archive quickly to cdrw.

Congrats on the progress.
Old 11th July 2007, 09:30 PM   #1484
mige0 is offline mige0  Austria
diyAudio Member

Location: Austria, at a beautiful place right in the heart of the Alps.
Hi

Quote:
Earl, looking from an OS wave guide point of view - is there any "best throat shape" for 180 degree ( flat baffle ) given a direct radiating dome or cone speaker ?
If understood right, the OS is a curve that minimises diffraction / reflection when transitioning from the ( hopefully ) flat wave front of a given aperture into the throat of a WG or horn ?

The OS curve starts parallel to the axes of the speaker or at the angel of the compression driver exit ( 6,5 degree ) and converges to the final horn / WG angel like sort of a hyperbolic curve. ?

IF we assume that diffraction and reflection also occurs when mounting a speaker into a flat baffle ( at the speaker NOT at the edge of the baffle ) then there may be a optimal 90 degree curve that behaves better than mounting the speaker flat onto a baffle, no ?

Am I confused?

Greetings
Michael
Old 11th July 2007, 10:27 PM   #1485
diyAudio Member

Default Re: What Awaits

Quote:
Originally posted by Lynn Olson
The WinXP dual Athlon HTPC with its M-Audio 192/24 soundcard will join it after I buy and install SoundEasy.
When you get SoundEasy, make sure you check the SE web page for suitable sound cards. Most any card will work for measurements with a desk top PC. Lap tops have had some problems though and USB sound cards were having problems. That issue has been addressed but I'm not sure of what level of success.

Also, you might look around for an M- Audio Delta 410 with 2 analog in , 8 out. Thsi will allow you to develop crossover and filters of up to a stereo 4-way system and emulate them digitally befor building them It's a very powerful tool for speaker development.
Old 11th July 2007, 10:34 PM   #1486
diyAudio Member

Earl,

"You need to defend the conical horn because you use them, and I need to defend the OS because I use it. "

Perhaps a semantic distinction, but is it incorrect to say that your waveguide is a conical horn with an OS throat-to-horn transition?
Old 11th July 2007, 10:47 PM   #1487
mige0 is offline mige0  Austria
diyAudio Member

Location: Austria, at a beautiful place right in the heart of the Alps.
Hi

Quote:
Lap tops have had some problems though and USB sound cards were having problems.
Yes USB has many reports of problems. If you like laptop usage then go with firewire
which is more stabile with audio. I use the Mackie Onyx 400F not flawless but for sure a recommendation.

http://www.mackie.com/products/400f/index.html

The Terratec Phase XX is also highly regarded.

But I think Lynn has already a good sound card.

Greetings
Michael
Old 12th July 2007, 12:11 AM   #1488
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mige0
Hi

But I think Lynn has already a good sound card.

Greetings
Michael

Yes, but the 24/192 only has 2 x 2 analog. It would be fine for measurement but useless for DSP crossover emulation. The 410 can be found at New Egg for $81.99.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829121126

Click the image to open in full size.

It's really the card to have with SoundEasy and a desktop running XP.
Old 12th July 2007, 02:08 AM   #1489
pdan is offline pdan  Europe
diyAudio Member

I think this great project deserves a name.

What first springs to mind, since this has been an effort of hercullean proportions, is "Heracles" Heracles we know became a God and so became immortal.My vote tho' would go to "Typhon". Typhon was a stupendous monster; the terror of the Gods,and who's head, it is said, touched the stars.

"The Typhon Project" sounds good to me, and from Ariel to Typhon contains a certain poetic logic.

Can't wait for "The Spawn Of Typhon" thread.

Cilla
Old 12th July 2007, 02:37 AM   #1490
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

I would just name it 'Open Wing'.

Hide this!Advertise here!