Beyond the Ariel Beyond the Ariel - Page 1448 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Beyond the Ariel
Beyond the Ariel
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2017, 07:26 PM   #14471
docali is offline docali  Germany
diyAudio Member

Many thanks for the link!

A week or so ago thie datasheet was not there. Maybe it happened because of my request to Radian with no response up to yet. Look at the filename behind the link ;-)

745NeoPB-data sheet-final 070817.pdf
Old 12th July 2017, 08:34 PM   #14472
marco_gea is offline marco_gea  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
The response of a passive network is heavily influenced by the compression drivers impedance. This impedance can be very complex and is highly dependent on the horn that it is mounted to. This makes generalizations about the effect very difficult. It's best to use actual in-situ measured impedances.
Sure it is. BUT, once you've multiplied that impedance by a factor of ~100 with an autoformer (to obtain -20dB of attenuation) and placed, say, an 8 Ohm shunt resistor across it, then it will behave as an almost ideal resistor (of approx. 7.9 - 8 Ohms). This is what I meant.
Old 16th July 2017, 09:07 AM   #14473
ckdf999 is offline ckdf999  Germany
diyAudio Member

BTW: does anyone from the German people posting here know wether there is a source for the 745 in Germany.

I checked with Thomann who have some Radians in their portfolio but they told me that they canīt supply the 745īs.

Thanks and Regards

Claus
Old 16th July 2017, 02:19 PM   #14474
marco_gea is offline marco_gea  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdf999 View Post
BTW: does anyone from the German people posting here know wether there is a source for the 745 in Germany.

I checked with Thomann who have some Radians in their portfolio but they told me that they canīt supply the 745īs.

Thanks and Regards

Claus
Behringer electric sell the Be-equipped version (475PB Be):
Radian 1" 475PB Beryllium

I dealt with them in the past (had them install Truextent Be diaphragms in my JBL 2450J drivers), and can vouch for their professionalism.

Marco
Old 16th July 2017, 03:56 PM   #14475
docali is offline docali  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hello Claus!

So far as I know Behringer is no official distributor for Radian, They have only a few models for which thay mount their Be diaphragms.

Does anybody know who is the offcial distributor for europe or in special for germany - if exist. The Radian site is not very informative with respect to this.

Thanks!
Old 16th July 2017, 10:18 PM   #14476
musical noise is offline musical noise  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docali View Post
Hello Claus!

So far as I know Behringer is no official distributor for Radian, They have only a few models for which thay mount their Be diaphragms.

Does anybody know who is the offcial distributor for europe or in special for germany - if exist. The Radian site is not very informative with respect to this.

Thanks!
From the Radian website:

Thomann GMBH
Hans-Thomann-Straße 1
Burgebrach,
Germany

Email: mailto:international@thomann.de

Phone
+49-9546-9223-55
Old Yesterday, 12:08 AM   #14477
g3dahl is offline g3dahl  United States
diyAudio Member

Please keep in mind that the data sheet provided by Radian for the 745NeoPB is for the aluminum-diaphragm version. As far as I know, Radian has not published data sheets or response curves for any of their Beryllium-equipped drivers.

The frequency response of the 745NeoBe isn't as flat as the aluminum version. In my experience, the use of beryllium diaphragms makes frequency shaping a requirement. The advantage one gains is the reduction of breakup in the audible range of treble frequencies. According to Materion, it has better self-damping than aluminum, and its stiffness moves the breakup to a higher frequency range.

The 745PB (ferrite magnet) that I started with had relatively flat frequency response, but the upper octaves didn't ever sound right with strings, same problem that I had experienced with Altec and GPA units. The 745NeoBe was the first compression driver that I ever heard produce the sound of strings convincingly. A further benefit was that with frequency shaping, I didn't find it necessary to use a tweeter.

In my most recent experiments, I have been enjoying the sound with Yamaha JA6681B drivers. These don't require frequency shaping, but it has been necessary to put the RAAL ribbons back to work. Although their diaphragms are aluminum, the Yammies don't seem to have the same sonic issues I am used to hearing with aluminum...but time will tell.
Old Yesterday, 01:07 AM   #14478
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Just a reminder to those in the Pacific Northwest, on the last Saturday in August, Gary will be playing is speakers and gear at the PNWAS/ Sound DIY Club DIY Audio get-together on Mercer Island, Washington. Best of all it's free to get in and parking is as well.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM   #14479
Lynn Olson is offline Lynn Olson  United States
diyAudio Member

Gary will be demo-ing not just the speakers, but the Amity push-pull 300B amplifier with a first-of-its-kind Tribute interstage transformer optimized for 6SN7 drivers. (The 6SN7 is difficult to design for because of relatively high output impedance, compared to a 5687, 6900, 7119, or ECC199.)

Speakers with large-format beryllium diaphragms (or the famed Yamaha JA6681B drivers), alnico-magnet Altec/GPA 416's, and 425 Hz LeCleac'h horns aren't that common at the hifi shows, so I'd advise anyone who's curious about the concept to show up and give a listen.

Maybe not as dramatic as the solar eclipse on the 21st of August, but I think you'll all have a good time at the PNWAS get-together! Have fun, guys!

Last edited by Lynn Olson; Yesterday at 06:44 PM.
Old Today, 12:05 AM   #14480
phivates is offline phivates  United States
diyAudio Member

Where will you be viewing the eclipse?

I'll be at home here at 97301. Gridlock is expected.

Beyond the ArielHide this!Advertise here!