Beyond the Ariel - Page 1435 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2016, 06:13 PM   #14341
oltos is offline oltos  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7 View Post
At the end of the day, it is all about the pressure exerted on your two ears over time. There is nothing magical about horns. Don't be fooled. Well-designed direct radiators can sound just as good.
Personally, I have been through the journey, starting with direct radiators, then horns, and now back at direct radiators, though of a specific kind
Corner Floor-to-Ceiling Line Array Using Vifa TC9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7 View Post
Most horn systems being discussed here do not solve the more egregious problem of floor and ceiling reflections. Side-wall reflections are not a detriment to the sound; if you prefer to not have them, and it is really just a preference, they can be easily absorbed or diffused. Even Earl uses floor absorbers and ceiling diffusers to tackle the floor and ceiling reflections.
Thanks for reminding me of need for this acoustical room treatment. It will no doubt be essential for success when I install my horn system.
Old 6th November 2016, 10:51 PM   #14342
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variac View Post
The ones I heard had the treble highly emphasized
About 3 dB too high, by my guesstimate. The exhibitors may have twiddled with the level during the show, since the Ionovac is self-powered (basically a shortwave AM transmitter that ionizes a few cc's of air). The temptation with any supertweeter is to turn it up a few dB so you can hear it do its thing. Not that different than turning up the sharpness control on a HDTV.

What I did hear was clean as a whistle (no apparent distortion or overload), and no issues from the vertical diffraction horn. I think the absence of a hard, reflective phase plug probably makes a difference.

Credit where it's due to the Wavelength electronics (source and amplifiers). Very transparent, dynamic, and with good tonality.

Last edited by Lynn Olson; 6th November 2016 at 10:58 PM.
Old 7th November 2016, 12:32 AM   #14343
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Ditto surround sound channels. They are usually up too high, so that you will notice them.
That's one of the first things you learn when doing THX or other cinema alignments.
Old 4th January 2017, 07:42 PM   #14344
diyAudio Member

Hi Lynn,
Seeing the beyond Ariel thread compelled me to pen a brief 'thank you' directed to you. Back in the early days of the Ariel I built a pair and fell in love with the sound. I had never really heard tube based HiFi before, nor speakers of the quality of the Ariels. Frankly, it all had a profound effect on me. After listening to the Ariels for a few years--trying different amps and pre amps, turntables, cartridges, etc. with them, I moved on to other speakers of various types--always looking for that synergistic combination that would totally enthrall. And, like many others, I lost my way.
In the last month, I went back to where it all started for me. I put the Ariels back in play, dragged out the monstrous W75 Allan Organ 6550 ultralinear amps modified to triode mode and am trying to get my Dynaco Pass 3x pre amp dialed in. Even with this 'work in progress' pre amp situation I am enjoying beyond description the sound being created.
So, just wanted to tell you how much your selfless contributions have given me so much joy.
Thank you.
Old 6th January 2017, 05:01 PM   #14345
jpak is offline jpak  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oltos View Post
Personally, I have been through the journey, starting with direct radiators, then horns, and now back at direct radiators, though of a specific kind
Corner Floor-to-Ceiling Line Array Using Vifa TC9
Do you have pictures of your floor to ceiling array?
Old 2nd February 2017, 07:50 PM   #14346
diyAudio Member

Default New project along the lines of the BTA... or "the Beryllium project"!

Hi all,

I have just embarked on a new project... or rather, a substantial upgrade of my existing 3-way 'speakers.

Basically, I'm going to move to a beryllium diaphragm large-format compression driver AND a beryllium ribbon tweeter.

If anyone's interested, you can read the details in this thread and here.

Both links are work-in-progress... stay tuned for updates :-)

Marco
Old 2nd February 2017, 10:02 PM   #14347
POOH is offline POOH  United States
diyAudio Member

Sweet horns Marco
I'm into real life dynamics and tone. Recipes for fully horn loaded horns systems are for me, direct radiator speakers bore me. Why have a fax when you can have vivid 3d technicolor? I love the sound of live instruments. This is my goal with my playback.
Old 3rd February 2017, 03:54 AM   #14348
DeonC is offline DeonC  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
At the same RMAF that I met Lynn, some guy walked into my room, listened for a few seconds and claimed (loudly) "nothing worthwhile listening to in here!" That was when I decided not to ever do another Hi-Fi show.
I missed this previously, so sorry for the late reply.

If it was my demo, I would quietly ask the people in the room: 'Do you agree, folks?' Most, if not all, will probably disagree, and then that guy's credibility will take a serious hit (if any of them see him again). I bet he was a rep or dealer for a rival company. Either way, people would then look at him in a different light, and be able to continue enjoying your demo. I have reached the stage in my life where I don't let any silly comments put me off or irritate me. As Dr. Kent Hovind said, I 'eat the meat and spit out the bone'.
Old 11th February 2017, 03:37 PM   #14349
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco_gea View Post
Hi all,

I have just embarked on a new project... or rather, a substantial upgrade of my existing 3-way 'speakers.

... stay tuned for updates :-)
All done!

Here's the finished 'speaker:
Click the image to open in full size.

And its passive crossover:
Click the image to open in full size.

The in-room response conforms to the "preferred target" according to Olive et al. (2013):
Attached Images
File Type: png In-room FR.png (51.5 KB, 334 views)
Old 11th February 2017, 07:17 PM   #14350
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Nice work, Marco!

Hide this!Advertise here!