Beyond the Ariel - Page 1124 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2014, 08:11 PM   #11231
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soongsc View Post
But occasionally, for some reason, one side will open up. Really have not figured this one out.
Earwax.

After cleaning my ears I get a much more extended freq. response that takes a few hours for my brain to compensate for. Until it is, everything sounds sibilant and "splashy" - with reflections being more noticeable.

It also happens when earwax moves around (like after sleeping or an air pressure change "pop") in one ear - though the overall effect isn't as noticeable as a cleaning.

Note this isn't around the outer ear, but further in the canal. (..in my case an increased adaptation due to most of my childhood spent swimming.)
Old 4th February 2014, 08:25 PM   #11232
diyAudio Member

Scott,
I'll have to remember that comment the next time someone says I'm not listening! I was a swimmer also, don't think the body would do that long after you stopped getting in the water though.

Soongsc,
One thing to remember besides wax buildup as Scott has just suggested is also the sinus cavity and the simple fact that changes throughout the day, sometimes one nostril is closed other the other side and if I remember correctly this also affects the ears?
Old 4th February 2014, 08:31 PM   #11233
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
The strange thing is that it's the right ear that's more sensitive, and that's the one that complains first when I subject it to too loud a sound, for too long. And the latter is a behaviour that started when I was a teenager, when an idiot fellow pupil fired a starting pistol right next to that ear - so it should be the one to be showing its age ...

Interesting philosophy that above 10kHz is unimportant - I just fairly recently tried as an exercise, killing everything above certain frequencies, brickwalling music tracks at 8, 10, 12kHz, and playing back on cheap PC speakers: 8k is disasterous, 10 leaves the sound dead, flat, tedious to listen to, only at 12 was the sound essentially as original in 'spirit' - I think I would use 14k as a safety margin, personally ...
For the most part above 10kHz is musically irrelevant (triangles would be an exception). That doesn't mean though that your brain hasn't adpated to make use of noise above this, or that very high harmonics aren't audible above 10 kHz. Their absence may well be noticeable and detrimental to you because that's what you are accustomed too.

Note: brickwalling isn't a natural occurrence, and it almost certainly has negative consequences lower in freq..

As for your hearing.. the damage could have lowered your sensitivity in the right ear at *lower* freq.s.. (in the midrange), with a perceptual increase at higher freq.s. as a result. (Nerve damage.)

Was your left ear attenuated at higher freq.s before the "accident"?
Old 4th February 2014, 08:43 PM   #11234
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
..I was a swimmer also, don't think the body would do that long after you stopped getting in the water though.
Oh it does, definitely. I'd say I produce many time the average deeper in-ear even 20 years afterward. When I was a younger child before swimming, I didn't produce nearly the same amount.

The only thing that's really changed 20 years after being a frequent swimmer for me has been tinnitus (around 6 kHz left and a little lower in the right) and a gradual loss of hearing above 9 kHz or so. Still, certain lighting noise well above 9 kHz can give me headaches. (..and the tinnitus I've learned to mostly ignore, except when trying to sleep - and then I use a "noise maker" .)
Old 4th February 2014, 09:04 PM   #11235
diyAudio Member

Scott,
I understand about the tinnitus as i have become aware of it myself lately but so far only in one ear. I only really notice when it is really quite and like you say when I am trying to sleep. I leave the tv on as low as it will go but I'm thinking about one of those white noise generators made to lull people to sleep. I don't know what frequency it is at as I haven't had a reference to compare it to yet but it seems fairly high up. Don't know that I can associate it with swimming though and I wasn't a diver so never hurt or punctured an eardrum.
Old 4th February 2014, 10:13 PM   #11236
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Note: brickwalling isn't a natural occurrence, and it almost certainly has negative consequences lower in freq..
The brickwalling was done via a digital filter, using the highest number of taps possible - this means 120dB attenuation over a tiny range of frequencies, visually, it's a vertical plunge in the EQ module - doing a spectrum before and after shows no impact to the response just prior to the cutoff.

Quote:
As for your hearing.. the damage could have lowered your sensitivity in the right ear at *lower* freq.s.. (in the midrange), with a perceptual increase at higher freq.s. as a result. (Nerve damage.)

Was your left ear attenuated at higher freq.s before the "accident"?
Can't see that being the case, I've spent quite a bit of time with my ears jammed up close to speaker drivers while working pretty hard, and tonally the left and right ears sound the same.

Don't know about the left ear, never had the ears measured for response - fairly recently I started using a pure 18k sine wave to condition a tweeter, and that's where I picked up, and did some simple listening experiments on, the ear differences.

Last edited by fas42; 4th February 2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old 6th February 2014, 08:33 AM   #11237
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

The most important thing in listening tests is the experience and understanding of real sound. Source of each spectrum content of real sound. How these change in real life is much more subtle than math modeling. This is one reason why we came to the conclusion that various auditors are necessary to help catch problems. Most of them may not have good hearing in terms of hearing tests, but the experience with having good understanding of real sonic characteristics is much more important.
Old 7th February 2014, 12:40 AM   #11238
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
orginally posted by gedlee
But in the big picture if you dropped out everything above 10 kHz and people didn't know that, virtually no one would complain or even take note. It is just not that important. There is very little to nothing left above 10 kHz in nature due to air absorption. Nothing from an orchestra reaches past the middle seats above 10 kHz. It's all absorbed. So why would our hearing ever have developed a sensitivity to frequencies in nature that do not exist?
I remember a movie, "The God's Must Be Crazy" from years ago. One of the points made in the movie, besides that the people of the Kalahari desert are very beautiful, is that they can hear and interpret sounds up to 20 kHz. We might want to investigate the reasons for this, but the movie claimed it came from hunting scorpions at night, by hearing alone, that children were better at this but that all members of the tribe hunted until quite old... no mention of what "quite old" might be either. Also, do you suppose that an observed irritating peak at 17.5kKz might be more noticeable than no noise at that point and that might have a bearing on the complaint?
Old 7th February 2014, 03:15 AM   #11239
diyAudio Member

There seems to be a very crude study published in the 1967 that hints at pretty minimal age-related hearing loss in 10 non-youth males, to 8kHz... don't see anything else.
Old 7th February 2014, 02:23 PM   #11240
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumptruck View Post
There seems to be a very crude study published in the 1967 that hints at pretty minimal age-related hearing loss in 10 non-youth males, to 8kHz... don't see anything else.
I;ll see that and raise you a "we are affected by >20kHz" study/
Oohashi, Tsutomu, et al. "The role of biological system other than auditory air-conduction in the emergence of the hypersonic effect." Brain research 1073 (2006): 339-347.

Hide this!Advertise here!