Beyond the Ariel - Page 110 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th June 2007, 10:08 PM   #1091
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Audio Transducers is written by Drs. Earl Geddes and Lidia Lee who represent over 50 years of R&D in transducers and psychoacoustics. This text is the most comprehensive discussion of the theory of acoustic transducers available anywhere. There simply is no other text like it.

Audio Transducers is a book that belongs on every audio engineers and audio technicians bookshelf"

Vance Dickason, Voice Coil, Nov. 2002

"This is a fabulous book and no one-repeat, no one-in this business should be without a copy"
Dick Cambell, Audio X Press, April 2004

As co-author of the pre-eminent reference document on the subject of audio transducers extant, ( no less than two respected experts in the field attest on the internet) , how can there be any bias?

It's unfortunate that many of us will simply never catch up to this level of understanding.
Old 18th June 2007, 10:09 PM   #1092
diyAudio Member

For a more scientific forum, I recommend the High-Efficiency Speaker Asylum, where EG normally posts. Use the search engine, and you can find all of the relevant posts there.
Old 18th June 2007, 10:09 PM   #1093
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Lynn

While we differ on opinions and I feel slighted by your RMAF comments, you are a rare gentleman in your discussions on these pages. Much as I would love to discuss the details of my designs I know all too well where they will lead since many others don't share your manners.
Old 18th June 2007, 10:27 PM   #1094
AJinFLA is offline AJinFLA  United States
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Russell Dawkins
I suppose a certain bias is explicit even in the implications that the chosen brand name "Audio Intelligence" carries with it.
Yes, sort of ironic, that a much more intelligent name wasn't concocted, to guarantee much greater commercial success, like "Audio Magic".
Where maybe 95% of the budget could be spent on marketing, rather than on all that science method nonsense.

cheers,

AJ
Old 18th June 2007, 10:28 PM   #1095
diyAudio Member

Earl and Lynn
Affable and gracious as well we all should be.

Ray
Old 18th June 2007, 11:32 PM   #1096
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lynn Olson

Not that I'll be taking anyone's advice, mind you. I'm slowly writing my own book of spells, and as the good Doctor has so thoughtfully reminded me, I have a great deal to learn yet.
And THAT is pretty much the point of an internet forum, be it diyAudio, an AA board, HTguide, etc.. An exchange of ideas that *might* lead somewhere.

Take some info (good or bad), mull it over and THEN (if interested) test it out for yourself in a manner you deem worthy. Or conversely, give some info and see if others do similarly. Hoping in either case that it gives someone some benefit - and a .

It hasn't been, and likely never will be, an exchange of control tested data to prove (or disprove) a hypothesis. (It would be sweet though if we all had ready access to Klippel equipment and it could offer this functionality. )

I did a limited search - there appears to be no AES internet forum (..that might stand a chance of meeting such a requirement). Perhaps Earl could add founder of AES internet forum to his distinguished career?
Old 18th June 2007, 11:57 PM   #1097
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

Earl,
Quote:
Lynn

While we differ on opinions and I feel slighted by your RMAF comments, you are a rare gentleman in your discussions on these pages. Much as I would love to discuss the details of my designs I know all too well where they will lead since many others don't share your manners.
I don't think very many here would attack your theories or intellectual explorations. After all, they have been incredibly kind to me and my somewhat out of the mainstream ideas.

EnABL Processes

I for one would be delighted to read about your wildest surmises, to say nothing of your proven applications.

If someone attacks you, we will just get the moderators to smack them for us. They are really very good about not allowing anything but polite investigations. The reason most of us post here, really.

Bud
Old 19th June 2007, 12:11 AM   #1098
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Perhaps Earl could add founder of AES internet forum to his distinguished career?
It is easy to take shots at Earl Geddes on the audio forums. I have seen him come and go on a few and it always seems to follow the same pattern. Basically he is driven off by a handful of audio wannabees attacking serious engineering work with personal opinions argued as facts. People don't like his style of posting and the mob of angry villagers quickly forms to storm the castle and get the monster. I can easily understand his reluctance to post on forums and exposing himself to the aggravation and waste of his time, he is not alone when you consider other people in the audio field that you would love to see discussing these topics on forums but they never appear.

The bottom line is he knows what he is talking about and if you compare the content and quality of the information in his book to the sum total of information posted by any individual on any forum there are not many people who can measure up myself included. I own his book, have read it many times, understand most of it, and use it often for a valuable reference as I think about my own designs and calculation methods.

One other interesting observation about this particular thread, in my opinion there is a lot of talking and throwing out of ideas but not much engineering taking place. This appears to be a holistic design based on subjective opinions, conjecture and trial an error evolution and not at all on basic OB engineering design principles. This is easily demonstrated by reviewing who is contributing and who is not, there are not many posts from the people working on OB engineering and design methods. There is not much presented in the thread for the engineering people to become interested in discussing and participating. Basically this thread is ony getting one side of the exchange of ideas, the engineering technical side is missing.

My opinions
Old 19th June 2007, 12:34 AM   #1099
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Martin

Basically your right, I have no interest in arguing on web forum. I would be interested in teaching, but this is never taken for what its worth and is always met with an argument, followed by anger (if I don't agree) and then the personal attacks start.

I was once accused of "lecturing" on one of these sites - as if that was a bad thing!! I had always thought that the honor of attending the lecture of an expert was a good thing.

I don't deny being arrogant or even egotistical, but I do object to being treated without respect as I think that I have at least earned SOME respect in the audio community.

And you are right on the money when you point out that virtually none of the real experts in this field ever show up at these things. Floyd Toole once commented to me that I must be crazy to subject myself to these sites. I cannot imagine anyone being disrespectful to Dr. Toole, but yet it appears to have happened.
Old 19th June 2007, 12:46 AM   #1100
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Teh
I still share Lynn's original assessment as "honky". Still, it is merely a preference.
You might find this both fun and interesting.
Honk Your Horn Thread.

I hope to get some others here to try it and comment.

Hide this!Advertise here!