Beyond the Ariel - Page 1001 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2013, 08:18 PM   #10001
jpak is offline jpak  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandPink View Post
My opinion is still that John Wood, at 'Sound Techniques' in London ( Chelsea ) did the best recordings I'm aware of . The best examples of these are on the early 'Transatlantic' LP's featuring Pentangle and John Renbourn ; but obviously a lot of the early Island work is very close in quality , and close to my heart, as you can tell from my username . His ability to render tone and natural dynamics set him apart from the rest at that time in those genres of music .
John Wood did exceptional work, my favorite artist he recorded is Nick Drake. A nice article/interview with John here: John Wood: From Pink Floyd To The McGarrigles
Old 24th November 2013, 08:24 PM   #10002
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_G View Post
AFAIK, this is unattainable. The best we can strive for is as high degree of realism as possible. However no reproduction system will ever fool an experienced listener, brought into a room blindfolded, to think/feel that one is listening to live music.

If I'm wrong here, if anyone managed to do it, I'd love to hear it.
I have heard piano through a sound reinforcement system.
It is immediately obvious that it is live as opposed to recorded.
How about you?
It is not the speakers, but in the recording somehow.
Old 24th November 2013, 08:28 PM   #10003
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My opinion is still that John Wood, at 'Sound Techniques' in London ( Chelsea ) did the best recordings I'm aware of . The best examples of these are on the early 'Transatlantic' LP's featuring Pentangle and John Renbourn ; but obviously a lot of the early Island work is very close in quality , and close to my heart, as you can tell from my username . His ability to render tone and natural dynamics set him apart from the rest at that time in those genres of music .
Of Falk/rock music, Pentangle is one of my favorites. I have both their LP's and CD's.
Old 24th November 2013, 08:29 PM   #10004
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_G View Post
I don't get you point.
Are you saying that you have, or heard, a reproduction system that sounds like live music?
Yes, I have.
Old 24th November 2013, 08:30 PM   #10005
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhrrhleine View Post
I have heard piano through a sound reinforcement system.
It is immediately obvious that it is live as opposed to recorded.
How about you?
It is not the speakers, but in the recording somehow.
I wasn't that lucky.
Which recording is it?
On what setup did you hear it?
Old 24th November 2013, 08:43 PM   #10006
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by platan View Post
The 1+2+4 option, reminds me the JBL K2 S9800
The latter is the Al dome tweeter?
Old 24th November 2013, 09:23 PM   #10007
diyAudio Member

Joshua,
What I take that myhrrhleine is saying is that with a live piano player playing through a PA system that is was obvious that you were listening to a real live piano and not a recording being played back through that system. Even if the frequency response isn't perfect you can instantly even blindfolded tell that a live performance was what you are hearing. I have to agree that the changes that give us a clue that we are not listening to a live performance is in the recording chain and not necessarily in the playback system. Given an excellent direct to tape or disk recording with the right speakers it would be hard to tell it is not live except for the subtle tape noise that most would identify and give it away. I myself think that both horn loaded systems and direct radiators can reproduce this type of sound quality, it is all in the details. On the other hand I have heard more crappy sounding horn loaded systems than great sounding horn loaded systems. Yes horns can sound excellent but at the same time I think that many times the person creating the system has not a clue how to make a horn loaded system sound excellent.
Old 24th November 2013, 09:27 PM   #10008
g3dahl is offline g3dahl  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I've come to the same conclusion as a couple of the London group - that resistors of this type, used in series :
Buy Through Hole Fixed Resistors POWER THICK FILM 10W 4R7 BI Technologies BPC104R7J LF online from RS for next day delivery.
are actually more transparent than the autoformers .
OK, I suppose I'm operating more in a 10-15R series resistance game myself, but worth considering if it fits into anything you're playing with , crossover-wise .
I'm using autoformers by Dave Slagle. From the amplifier's point of view, the crossover consists of a 3rd order filter, a shunt resistor, the auto former, and finally the 745 with its Zobel. The shunt resistor is important, partly because it keeps the large impedance peak in the attenuation band from acting against the crossover. If I were using active crossovers it might be different. I don't think that a resistive L-pad would work in this approach, even if the resistors on their own are more transparent.
Old 24th November 2013, 09:36 PM   #10009
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
Joshua,
What I take that myhrrhleine is saying is that with a live piano player playing through a PA system that is was obvious that you were listening to a real live piano and not a recording being played back through that system.
Possibly this is what he meant.
However, if this is the case, it doesn’t contradict my statement, that AFAIK, 'no existing reproduction system in the world can sound (to an experienced listener) like a real, live concert, or even like a real, live single instrument'.
In case I'm wrong here, I'm willing to travel to the end of the planet to hear it and see how it was done.
Old 24th November 2013, 09:48 PM   #10010
diyAudio Member

Joshua,
I think that it would really depend a lot on the type of music you were playing. I don't see a problem with reproducing a rock and roll concert through a playback system that would sound like a live concert, but now try and do that with a jazz ensemble or any acoustic instrument and then things get much more difficult.

Steven

Hide this!Advertise here!