OHM Acoustics "Walsh F" Speaker remakes - Page 35 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2010, 04:36 PM   #341
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Well actually you need boots with NASCAR logo's on 'em to be considered a local - otherwise you'll be spotted as being an "outsider". If you wear a cowboy had and clothing with sequins you will be assessed as either being an "old timer" that is past their prime our and over enthusiastic foreign tourist that is look'n for Elvis - and we all know that he is actually over in Memphis grill'n up some peanut butter and banana sandwiches at a diner just outside of town.
Old 18th January 2010, 05:15 PM   #342
diyAudio Member

So many requirements, so little time. I assume when I get there with my NASCAR boots, I should keep my mouth shut about not liking peanut butter.
Old 18th January 2010, 05:32 PM   #343
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanN View Post
So many requirements, so little time. I assume when I get there with my NASCAR boots, I should keep my mouth shut about not liking peanut butter.
You can mask that my eating massive amounts of deep fried foods and BBQ ribs - oh yeah - plus the local favorite - deep fried okra. Well - toss in some grits while your at it.

Ok - I'll stop screwing around and get back on topic - what the heck are you gonna use for tweet's? If you looked at the Zaph Audio site you will see some fairly affordable domes he tested. If I remember right there were a couple of Daytons and some Pioneer's that looked pretty good.

I'm still a fan of AMT's - but not all of them are created equal either. The B&G's have some good reviews from a number of sources and are in the affordable range. The ESS AMT1's I can vouch for but they are a little rich for some peoples blood. Of course there is the school of thought that doesn't care for AMT's YMMV. From reading your post I think you will find them to be a good choice.
Old 18th January 2010, 09:06 PM   #344
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

If you want the real thing, but brought up to modern tech standards you need to contact Dale Harder at dale at hhr-lasers dot com Dale makes Ohm F's, new, from the original cone patterns, but he uses a better motor, better voice coil and stronger suspension so the voice coil doesn't droop out of the gap. These are expensive speakers.

As for something that sounds as good, not likely. You can get a nude full range, to open baffle upper mid, to cardioid open baffle bass to have very similar in room character, with even greater definition and depiction of space, for about the same money, spent on drivers and cabinetry. You can get the pano woofer / tweeter to sound very good, with some drawbacks and without the ease and giganticness of space the F's provide and you can get the Walsh 2 speakers to do just about as good, if you EnABL or Mamboni the woofer/mid range driver. Personalty I would start with the Walsh 2's, if acceptable, move on to the Mamboni build with a superior tweeter and maintain a slight drool over the F's

No free lunch. Look here for pics of Dale's work Picasa Web Albums - Bud - New Walsh dri...

Bud
Old 19th January 2010, 12:10 AM   #345
diyAudio Member

c2c, how can you eat Okra of any kind and remain sane?

Good to hear your own heart surgery is still going strong, but eating fired Okra cannot be good for it, nor any other part of your body either!

Bud
Old 19th January 2010, 01:35 AM   #346
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Hi Bud - I just got home from taking wife and son and his GF out to the local steak house. I had the Salmon (not at all up to Seattle, SF, or Boston standards) steamed baby carrots, and wild rice - not a piece of deep fried anything in sight (for me). Heck - now days I stay away from any nasty type fats, refined carbohydrates, or sugars!!! Tomorrow is Susan's (age classified) birthday and at her insistence I will suffer a small piece of her birthday carrot cake. Heck - just staying away from the carb's and breads I've dropped off 20 lbs. in the last couple of months!!! When the local's ask my wife what the hell is wrong with me she just tells 'em that she kidnapped me out of California and they all nod there heads and say "Ahhhhh - you poor thing you. Now we understand!" The real unspoken secret is that I was raised as a Texas boy by a Texas mother - and Texans pretty much do whatever the hell we like.
Old 19th January 2010, 01:55 AM   #347
diyAudio Member

I hear ya, changed to an Omega 3 fats diet about 4 years ago (olive oil, walnuts, garlic, fish, ya know, bitter stuff) and have been on Beta Kerotene (turns into A when needed), C and E for about 30 years, to absorb the "ash" from being an oxy / carbon compound dependent life form.

The only obvious diff is that upon quitting ordinary Texas style fats and taking up with those Mediterranean sorts, much of my baldness has been repopulated. Mebe that's how those Istalions keep their hair until it no longer matters?

I will admit that I still have a pretty capable respiratory system for being an old thing and since it was a sports medicine doctor that told me to try those particular three vitamins out, in combination and fairly large amounts, I figured it couldn't kill me any quicker than all of the rest of life was going to, so, why not?

Bud
Old 19th January 2010, 02:12 AM   #348
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Flaxseed oil! I've been to Italy a few times and you should see what those gals can do with a bottle of olive oil!!! Mama-Mia!!!! Now how do we tie all of this in to making some Walsh clones??? Hmmmmm maybe we can soften up the cone surround with some olive oil? Omega 3 EnABL patterns? Listening to a bit of Italian opera could have some merit!!
Old 20th January 2010, 04:12 AM   #349
diyAudio Member

Flaxseed and olive oil and other stuff indeed! Been looking around on Craigs list for Ohms. Of all names to name a speaker: Ohm. You ever searched for "Ohm Speaker"? Most speakers have several ohms it turns out. Spoke with John, the president of Ohm twice today about refurbishing, etc. And also about these Ohms I have. Each of them has some sort of protective circuit - an SBA - Sub bass activator. And he said maybe it is burnt out. Not sure what it is, but my guess is that it is a resettable breaker across a resistor and it forgot to reset. Don't know. Need to open the speakers to take a look. He said the difference in sound with the SBA working or not is subtle. He also said I should place the speakers 2" from a wall. They are not positioned that way now, which could explain the lack of bass he said.

There are a lot of speakers... raw speakers on Craigs List. I was thinking that once I get the Walsh-work-alike cabinets built, I could buy a couple or 4 speakers there to experiment with. With a single order crossover, it would seem like nothing is real critical. Slap some magic triangles on them and I'm good to go.
Old 20th January 2010, 05:16 AM   #350
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Careful - the Pioneer's go to 6kHz - and your gonna need it.

Hide this!Advertise here!