OHM Acoustics "Walsh F" Speaker remakes - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2004, 07:30 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Walsh tweeter

I was under the impression that the walsh tweeter first arrived comercially in the original Infinity Monitor. An icecreamcone turned upside down on top af a large walnut cabinet from 1972.
That tweeter was, as far as i remember, similar in shape to german physics but only 4-5" tall and a pure hf unit. The cone, dont know what it was made of, was enclosed in a perforated aluminium case of the same shape. The only pair ive heard of arriving to Sweden in working order i was given an opportunity to listen to and really liked it. This was a detailed and very "fast" tweeter, ambience varied a lot with placement which is natural for 360 dispersion. PLS observe that this was 30 years ago and think the amp was ARC D76. Still: as a tweeter, good idea, the original sales leaflet for the Infinity monitor i think describes the conematerial as mylar- real DIY teritory!
Old 23rd March 2004, 01:14 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

It's not uncommon for reviewers to work themselves into a frenzy over whatever they're listening to...after all, it's what they're paid to do.
Take the review with a grain of salt.
Incidentally, you'll rarely find a product that is acknowledged to be worse than its predecessor; they're always new & improved. It's just marketing.
About the only thing the Walsh/Ohm speakers are good for is being omni-directional. They throw a very wide, deep, but imprecise image. As such, they sound very different from 'normal' speakers and have a lot of wow factor. Unfortunately, they get old quickly because they don't do other things very well.
It's a cool idea, but there are too many factors weighing against it for the concept to ever become more than a niche product.

Grey
Old 12th June 2004, 09:23 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Walsh tweeter

Quote:
Originally posted by ingvar ahlberg
the original sales leaflet for the Infinity monitor i think describes the conematerial as mylar- real DIY teritory!
My father has a pair of these Infinity Monitors. At one time they were repaired by Infinity and one of the walsh drivers was replaced. They are both different. One is a mylar type material, the other apears to be thin aluminum. I can take pictures of them next week if you want.

Mike
Old 13th June 2004, 05:02 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to THOR Send a message via Yahoo to THOR
Default radial loudspeakers

If you wish to make one look no further for inspiration than Steve
Deckert Radial Thats exactly what he did and did it well enough to
offer it as a finished speaker! Steve is a remarkable"newtonian"
Type guy . Very imaginative! Check THIS out! http://www.decware.com/radials/radials.htm
Old 13th June 2004, 07:30 AM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I've heard the DDDs and they are very good... also VERY expensive.

dave
Old 15th November 2006, 11:58 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

The Ohm F's are far superior to the newer versions, although they do have some problems.

The originals are very low impedence and low sensitivity, although there aren't too many drivers that can compare with the quality of sound (if any).

Granted, everthing is relative, and if you listen to Heavy Metal or Hip Hop , these aren't for you.

The new Ohm "walsh" drivers are pretty trashy, period. Tons of basket interference , monopole tweeter, metal screen around drivers......YUCK. Of course they claim to be better than the originals , how else would they sell them ? That's called marketing , and it is very often on the borderline of lying.

Just my thoughts , for what they're worth.

Nihilist
Old 16th November 2006, 06:12 AM   #17
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

I invite persons with EQ to the following experiment:
*take a pair of single-driver speakers
*let them face the ceiling, the drivers at the height of your ears
*correct the frequency response
*listen
Old 16th November 2006, 12:02 PM   #18
Ian J is offline Ian J  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

El Ol
How about the approach used in the FJ Om speaker (another German design) where the mid-bass fires upwards and the tweeter faces forwards towards the listener?
Old 16th November 2006, 04:49 PM   #19
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

If you choose a small midwoofer with sufficient dispersion you get low sensitivity. With a reasonably sized midranger you need an exactly defined rising response for compensation.
Old 23rd November 2006, 06:44 AM   #20
mamboni is offline mamboni  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello all:

I'm a long time Ohm loudspeaker owner, since the early 90's. My reference was the Walsh 5 for several years. The criticisms and shortcomings of the new Ohms mentioned here I've read often previously. Loudspeaker taste is fairly subjective, and some don't care for the "omni" presentation. Personally, the Ohm Walsh loudspeakers are in a class by themselves in their ability to disappear and present the music very close to live sound. Now the Walsh 5 was not perfect:

1. the midrange was polite; I found myself wanting more detail.
2. the bass was fabulously extended and powerful, but not the tightest alignment.

I wrote a review of the Walsh 5's some years back, so I won't rehash that (review #12):

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/ohm/f...x.aspx#review0

I upgraded to the latest design driver, the Walsh 5 series 3, several months ago. Let me say that John Strohbeen has addressed all of the shortcomings of the original design, in spades. The bass is just incredible: flat to 20 Hz, extremely well damped and free of audible distortion. The midrange is incredible: oodles of detail, air, microdynamics. Of course, the imaging and soundstaging are nonpareil. And, these Walsh energize my entire listening room and have amazingly unrestrained dynamics and power. To listen to a well -recorded symphony orchestra at full tilt is major goosebumps experience. I reviewed the new driver here (review #1):

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/ohm/f...7_1594crx.aspx

To those who claim that the new designs utilizing the supertweeter do not produce the magic and purity of the prototypical Walsh F, I must say that I am very skeptical (but, I have never heard the Walsh Fs). The new Ohm Walsh 5's sound nearly perfect to my ears (I am an ex-amateur classical musician - live acoustic music is my reference). Building a full-range single driver omni is very difficult, and requires sacrificing efficiency. Alos, I do not believe that comparable sound quality cannot be achieved using a sufficiently high crossover point with gentle first order high pass filter for the tweeter. If fact, I have built several experimental loudspeaker drivers and complete loudspeakers using the Walsh inverted cone alignment. My single driver designs were very difficult and time consuming in construction and refinement of the cone/magnet assembly. And yes, thay sounded wonderful. But, I then decided to build some loudspeakers using the modern approach with conventional woofers turned upside down crossed over to a supertweeter. The key here was figuring out how to modify the woofer cone to behave like a bending wave converter. I ultimately came up with a modification that is easily applied, reproducible and consistent. When the modified woofer is run full range (straight line in) and is crossed over to a 1" soft dome tweeter of premium by not overly-expensive top shelf quality (chosen for it's very low Fs=800 Hz, 100W RMS) crossed over in a first order 6 dB/octave slope at 8 KHz (so that the tweeter is hardly taxed under any reasonable listening levels). the result has been a loudspeaker of surpassing fidelity. These loudspeakers are just beautiful sounding, having all the best qualities of an omni. And yes, the midrange detail is Quad-like, electrostat, clean. The key is the monopole tweeter - the controlled directivity above 10 kHz is superior to a full omni radiation. All who have heard these speakers are awe-struck. What is really amazing is how inexpensive and easy they are to built: woofer (with hand-applied mods), tweeter, one good quality polypropylene cap, solid core copper wiring throughout, and the cabinets (I used cardboard tubes) - that's all there is per speaker. One of these days, I should drawn up the plans and post them on line.

Hide this!Advertise here!