idea of a cost-no-subject, fully hornloaded speaker - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2007, 04:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default idea of a cost-no-subject, fully hornloaded speaker

hi all

have a look at my fotoblog with the idea of a fully hornloaded, state of the art hornspeaker :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7808268@N07/?saved=1

Angelo
Old 18th April 2007, 04:59 PM   #2
Account disabled at member's request

Very interesting...again. Anything new since the last thread you started on these?
Old 18th April 2007, 06:26 PM   #3
agent.5 is offline agent.5  United States
diyAudio Member

Can you give some points on glueing plywood to form curved shapes

What kind of plywood are those? thickness? what to use as glue? etc.
Old 19th April 2007, 04:52 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default its thin plywood 5mm

hi

i use thin, 5mm plywoodlayers, glue 3 of them at the time together with apropriated glue. I do not know in the u.s. the brandnames, i guess any store that sales the plywood can inform u.

rds Angelo
Old 19th April 2007, 05:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to critofur Send a message via MSN to critofur Send a message via Yahoo to critofur
Default Re: its thin plywood 5mm

Quote:
Originally posted by angeloitacare
hi

i use thin, 5mm plywoodlayers, glue 3 of them at the time together with apropriated glue. I do not know in the u.s. the brandnames, i guess any store that sales the plywood can inform u.

rds Angelo
After looking at this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7808268@N07/465154478/

It's typically best to avoid spacing braces equally as that divides the panel into sections which will each resonate at the same frequency. Also, you're doing the same kind of thing vertically, you should at least have two different brace shapes and alternate them so as not to create vertical sections of the enclosure with the same consistant width as you go from the bottom to the top as that will also cause it to resonate at paticular frequencies. Since you are laminating to build the cabinet anyway, why not take advantage of the benefit of laminating different materials (specifically, materials with differen't "Q's? It can make a significant difference damping cabinet vibrations.

Edit: if the cabinet will only be playing at low frequencies, then those resonaces may not be excited so significantly, so what I said above is not quite so applicable when talking about subwoofer cabinets, for instance. Still, something to keep in mind, generally.
Old 19th April 2007, 09:21 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default enclosure resonances

hi Critofur

the last layer of the cabinet will not be plywood, but mdf, witch will make it easier to work with the wood veneer afterwards. If i understand it right, you recommend to alterate the bracing distances one to the other ?

rds Angelo
Old 19th April 2007, 10:04 PM   #7
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Those look great Angelo. Can't wait to see them completed. The Bossa Nova has a way cool shape. WIll you build one?

The photo's gave me a laugh. Brown skin and flip-flops on the feet (we call them "slippers" here in Hawaii). Looks just like a Hawaiian workshop!

Tropical Audiophiles unite!
Old 19th April 2007, 10:23 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default bossa nova speaker

hi Michael

i would love to built all the speakers i am designing. Who knows, someone wants to buy the Bossa Nova , than it will go into production.

greetings Angelo
Old 22nd April 2007, 12:47 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to critofur Send a message via MSN to critofur Send a message via Yahoo to critofur
Default Re: enclosure resonances

Quote:
Originally posted by angeloitacare
hi Critofur

the last layer of the cabinet will not be plywood, but mdf, witch will make it easier to work with the wood veneer afterwards. If i understand it right, you recommend to alterate the bracing distances one to the other ?

rds Angelo
Alternate bracing distances, yes. A thin layer of MDF won't that much difference, I think, as it is not very dense, not very strong, and only somewhat different Q than plywood.

A layer of metal, or even beter, two layers of two different metals - or - a "constrained damping layer" of some viscous sticky sheet such as something with bitumen, or "loaded" vinyl sheet with adhesive in between the wood layers...
Old 22nd April 2007, 11:30 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

hi Critofur

the distances are not exactly the same, they vary one from the other, it is not very mutch, so it cannot be seen on the pictures. I dont think i will find bitumen or something similar here around. Resonaces should be already at a good degrea avoided with this bracing, don't you think?

rds Angelo

Hide this!Advertise here!