What computer speakers you ppl use? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2001, 08:56 PM   #11
Super is offline Super  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Super
Just a thought, but if you built a subwoofer using one of the relatively inexpensive plate amplifiers, you could just use the high pass outputs that come standard on most of them for a small pair of two way monitors. You could probably do the entire project for under $250 bucks, and wouldn't have to worry about buying any other amps/preamps/stereo equipment.
Old 30th October 2001, 03:31 AM   #12
BAM is offline BAM
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BAM
Default These aren't mine, but...

I really like the Harmon-Kardon SoundSticks, the new Altec 2100s, and the spherical Apple Pro Speakers from Harman Kardon with their 2" odyssey drivers. I've never heard bass like that from anything under 3" before. Especially when driven with only 10w/channel. For a single-driver stereo pair, they simply rock. But they are driven by an amplifier built into the Mac itself. If you own one of the Compaqs with the JBL Pro speakers and the amplifier on the sound card and want to upgrade from those, get a pair of the Apple Pro Speakers. And yes, they go loud (with bass) without distorting too terribly. I could sit for minutes extolling the virtues of the Odyssey microdrivers. Kind of like the way I'm obsessed with the way a 50-watt Philips wOOx-equipped sub would seem to crank up louder and more clearly than the Pioneer 100-watt sub next to it at Best Buy. I wish I didn't have to decide between the Philips wOOx-equipped computer speakers and the JBL Sonnets.
Old 30th October 2001, 03:33 AM   #13
BAM is offline BAM
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BAM
Default Hey, Super...

Does this mean that I could use a subwoofer plate amplifier to build a set of powered speakers?
Old 30th October 2001, 09:09 PM   #14
Super is offline Super  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Super
I suppose it would be possible, but I'm not sure whether the high pass outputs are passive or not. If this were the case, you would have to integrate an amplifier, but the plate amp would also act as a preamp.
Old 30th October 2001, 09:30 PM   #15
jteef is offline jteef  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jteef
I use sony MDR-7506 headphones 100% of the time. For games, you can't match the effectiveness of good headphones at any price. For music, it becomes very difficult and expensive. Movies are a different story.

The 90 bucks i paid for my cans was by far the best piece of investment i've made for any of my computers.

ESP has a quasi "hifi" computer speaker project you might look into. I would swap out his 60W amp in favor of a couple more 3786 IC's bridged on the woofer in a ported enclosure just in the interest of cost and simplicity. You could easily put something together that would outperform any commercial computer speakers for a couple hundred bucks.

jt
Old 30th October 2001, 10:06 PM   #16
tsz is offline tsz  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to tsz
>BAM

You can't use a subwoofer plate amplifier for powered speakers, not without an extra stereo amplifier for the satellites. The high level, high pass output on most(all?) subwoofer amplifiers are simply connected via a capacitor to the high level inputs.

/Tobbe
Old 30th October 2001, 10:48 PM   #17
John L is offline John L  United States
diyAudio Member

Exclamation Computer Speakers

For heaven's sake, am I just an old fart to be thinking about practicality. Forget about plate amps, Infinity or JBL computer speakers. You can have more than a couple of hundred dollars tied down here and still not be all that versatile. All of us into the audio scene collect the things that we like most. Go dust off the extra receiver and speakers that are in the basement, or go to the nearest garage sales and look for some good vintage equipment! These things can be had for a song, and give good quality. And you can have them today, not some time "tomorrow" when you finally get around to it. Look up my earlier entry and see what I use. I have much less than $100 in my set up and I can rock the house. At least until the Missus comes home. She,s such a sweet thing. Now quit arguing about how many angles can dance on the head of a pin, and do something nice for yourself! John L

Hide this!Advertise here!