Noob: is 2x4 hd enough?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok im trying to spec a complete system, currently building the speakers.

I will have 2x alpair fullrange boxes, and a pair of beefy subwoofers, in a less-than-ideal room

Plan is to build a self-contained all-in-one amp/active crossover for all 4.

Main source is an htpc,, it will be connected via usb.
but i also want to be able to hook up other analogue sources. Phone etc..

Since id like to do some kind of room eq/phase correction, irrespective of source, i was thinking the diy version of the 2x4 hd would be a good bet.

Obviously the htpc would be far more capable for DRC, but i hate the idea of having my hifi tied completely to the pc for good sound.

Question is, ive read conflicting reports of the capabilities of the 2x4 hd. Is it capable if doing crossovers, high/lowpass, equalisation, and some phase correction all together?

If not, are there alternatives in a similar pricerange that would be able to? Im not able to spend £££..

I guess i could do as much as possible on the minidsp, and any other bits on the htpc, and suffer worse quality when using another source.?

Just need to understand the limitations..

Another thing im not sure about.. If its not powerful enough to do all the above, how is a dirac version possible? Does that not do eq and phase together?

Thanks! Robin.

I'd say Yes,
You will get all the functionalities from the standard one.
Also the Dirac system will do both EQ and some phase correction i think, so no need to do them separately if you choose the Dirac.

With the 2x4 HD you will be able to do a 2 way stereo config with room and phase correction.

thanks for the quick replies guys.

ive already read the manual, but it doesnt give any indication of the real-world limitations in processing.

for example the 4096 taps split between 4 channels, its sufficient to do full frequency range correction? i read a comment on another forum stating that its not enough to do proper correction of low frequency response on 4 output channels) .

also, (and im a noob so go easy on me) if i understood correctly, the equaliser has only 10 bands, which may not be enough to do accurate room equalisation (you are supposed to use it with REW "auto eq", but isnt it more accurate to do the equalisation with the fir filters?)

it also wasnt clear (to me) from the manual if the fir banks are entirely independent of the eq/crossovers etc (i.e. if i use the full FIR capacity, can i still use the eq and crossovers? )

thanks again!

The whole concept of speaker equalization to achieve "room correction" is bass ackwards.

Regardless, the 2x4HD unit has plenty of capability to (realistically) EQ a set of speakers to whatever your objective is.....even in the low frequencies.

But for some folks, no matter what amount of DSP processing power, it's never enough. :)

Dave.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.