noaudiophile.com offers correction profiles for speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This website reviews speakers and the guy actually creates DSP corrections to apply to the speakers he reviews. So far he's got one for the Pioneer BS-22 , The Micca MB42X and several others. Mostly cheaper stuff.

The correction profiles are free and they work with the mini DSP, but even if you don't have a miniDSP, you can use the free equalizer APO windows plugin to get that functionality at the system level from your computer.

Account Closed
Joined 2001
This website reviews speakers and the guy actually creates DSP corrections to apply to the speakers he reviews. So far he's got one for the Pioneer BS-22 , The Micca MB42X and several others. Mostly cheaper stuff.

That assumes he knows how to make good/reliable acoustic measurements and interpret them correctly and apply a correction. :)

As mentioned, the room is a large variable as well.

Dave.

This is all true. For this reason his filters do not adjust the room mode region of the frequency response. He may add a shelf filter if the speaker lacks the proper bass response. So what he's doing is correcting the response of the speaker under ideal conditions which is still pretty useful.

You could go out and buy some very expensive speakers and they are not tailored to your room. That doesn't stop people from giving them 5 star reviews.

I applied his filter to my Pioneer BS-22s which I travel with on vacations. It's a nice improvement. The vast majority of people do not have the knowledge or equipment to create inversion filters for specific rooms and that's his target audience.

He recommends equalizer APO which is a system wide equalizer with 30 points of adjustment. You can apply his filters as a starting point and then you still have over 20 bands to work with. The bands are programmable so you can do arbitrary peak filters with specific Q's. It's all free open source software and works system wide in windows.

This stuff is not exactly something most people on this forum would use on their HiFi system, but it's fast fun cheap and easy.

Bottom line, you can use these filters without a DSP or a Microphone. It is still a half job though as you say.

Last edited:
some of the reviews have been quite odd imo, makes a big deal about issues that are not issues.
his comments on speaker designs at the rmaf shows he has some problems understanding how various speakers work while completely neglecting obvious design faults in others. his dsp files might work somewhat for all i know, but i certainly wouldnt trust this guy to do a basic rundown of music reproduction tech.

What I really like is that he actually dismantles the speakers that he reviews. I have tried to get pictures like that of speakers in order to see what kind of crossover topology is being used and it's not easy to get that kind of information.

I was surprised to see the KEF bookshelf speaker used a 1st order crossover.

I was surprised to see the KEF bookshelf speaker used a 1st order crossover.

Of course, it doesn't. It may have a first-order electrical filters, but those filters combine with the bespoke driver for a steeper acoustic rolloff.

Being able to design filter and driver at the same time is a perk of an advanced loudspeaker company that the plug-n-chuggers (or, if you will, industrial-scale DIYers) don't have.

Speaking of KEF, I lost all interest in his site when he asserted that KEF speakers all pretty much sound the same. For better or worse, the current KEF line has a very wide range of voicings, and the neutral ones aren't always obvious just by looking at their lines.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.