New models 2016

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Seems MiniDSP unveiled new Dirac Live supporting hardware at CES 2016 that seems interesting...
Some models listed on the promotional signs are DDRC-88BM, nanoAVR DL/DLA, 2x4 HD, 2x4 DL, and an "All in One DSP" plugin.
Would much prefer to read some official info, when can we expect details?

in about 2 weeks..

the 2x4HD should be very nice for 2-way speakers at $199
FIR filters
USB integrated
analog and optical
IR remote

i wonder how volume control works thou, like the nano digi? any downsides compared to vol-fp? probably wont work with analog input im guessing.

The models that integrate both bass management/crossover and Dirac interest me the most - such as 2x4 DL and the DDRC-88BM. That said there's still a lot of information missing (such as the sampling rates supported) so we'll have to see. I'd love to see a balanced 2x4 DL in a nicer box

yes. have not experimented with it, only loaded a couple of speakers and it works fine. for once nice to get rid of separate preamps and dacs, for an all in one package. goodbye old-tech!
IR is good also, with my remote i can aim at the ceiling and it still receives commands.
software is a bit glitchy, for example a -9.8db attenuation can suddenly change to -10db when flipping windows, then it switches back again, and the FR graph occasionally goes blank.
when switching presets it outputs a noise.. but no biggie :)
$205 is a sweet price for all the functionality. before its arrival i was going to order the DA8 instead, but the coax only was a turn off. though i might have to buy a 4way box in the future, thats the annoying thing about minidsp`s at the moment, you are forced to choose one thing over another.

as a EQ/dac and preamp you mean? as a crossover also its naturally hard comparing it directly to a passive solution with separates.
feels to me like comparing a combustion engine to an electric one, the latter is cheaper and simpler but has only one moving part, no gearbox and other obvious benefits that the other cant beat. so with digital straight in the crossover i stop worrying about the price of the parts.

it sounds better to me than my various sources connected to the standard 2x4, but i attribute that to D/A instead of A/D-D/A.
if something doesnt sound right in a active setup i usually blame the speaker or the config. your milage may differ.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.