Intentionally delayed reflections

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What would happen if I used a second set of speakers and then delayed their output by say 10-15ms and aimed them at the front wall. Basically a bipolar speaker where the rear output is delayed.

Using the miniDSP for the delay and perhaps parametric adjustment.

Here's why I want to do this,

To add a spacious effect even in a small absorbent room. Reduce the strength of the early reflections (because the volume could be reduced on the forward facing speakers)

Has anyone tried this? I'm planning on doing it with some cheap speakers as an experiment but it would be interesting to see if anyone has used this in any kind of serious project.

I once heard a setup with large magnepans that were positioned 7.5 ft out from the front wall and it sounded really cool. This configuration made the reflected rear output 15ms late and I think that might have been what made it sound the way it did. It doesn't necessarily sound right, but it made the CD's sound like they had extra resolution.

I think it would be nice to mimic that effect with regular speakers in a small room. That room with the Mags was over 20ftx20ft so that kind of speaker placement was reasonable.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.