ministreamer -> minidsp 2x4?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got it to work eventually.
The config is:
Ministreamer master
2x4 slave via software and jumper
wiring: ministreamer to 2x4
SDOUT (6) to DATA_IN_7&8 (13)
GND (7) to GND (7)
MCLK_OUT (8) to MCLKIN (9)
LRCLKOUT (had to solder in extra pin) to BOTH IN_BCLK (15) and OUT_BCLK (21)
SCLKOUT (solder in extra pin) to BOTH IN_LRCLK (14) and OUT_LRCLK (20)

I dont' know if this setup is optimal since it was cobbled together from random readings on their forum.
It took a long time to figure out since the miniDSP people are pretty useless when it comes to something like this. They keep claiming that it is "at your own risk DIY and we don't really support it". I could barely find any info in their forum, and just barely by luck caught that I should use input 7&8 and somehow not 1&2 like expected. Wow, thanks a lot for the useful documentation. I mean, they have the two boards in front of them. You'd think they could figure out how to get them to work together without inserting an extra $65 minidigi.

OK, enough rant for now.

I didn't get ministreamer slave 2x4 master to work. (Then again, there really are a lot of permutations to try, huh?)

In this current state, the 2x4 doesn't start up right due to not having a master clock. I have to plug in the 2x4 first, then plug in ministreamer, then open the program to the 2x4, then resync, and finally music will come out. (plugging in the ministreamer first causes the power light to not even go on when I plug in the 2x4)

I tried combinations of disconnecting the MCLK wire or moving the master / slave jumper on the 2x4, but those didn't work either.

Also, my volume potentiometer doesn't seem to work either, even though I can see a varying voltage at pin 12 of the 2x4.

Right now, my goal is to figure out a way to have the 2x4 start up right. Otherwise, this device won't be very portable.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.