nanoAVR HDMI issues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I love my nanoAVR but have been having some HDMI issues. Initially, I was having intermittent trouble with losing the HDMI sync during video switching or resuming my windows based XBMC computer from sleep, so I updated the firmware on my Sony STR-DA2800ES. However, this seems to have made things worse, I get no video most of the time (it is having trouble negotiating the connection over HDMI).

I bought all new HDMI cables (some redmere cables from monoprice).

Do you have any recommendation of AVR brands that you have had good results with (from an HDMI perspective)? I am thinking of switching to an NAD or Integra.

Also, I think that Windows itself might be part of the problem, as it may be doing a DDC HDMI polling and disconnecting the monitor during video switching on the AVR. I brought home an atlona at-hdsyn from work and am looking at that or a Dr HDMI to see if spoofing the EDID to the computer or nano AVR makes things more stable.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris, my low-end Yamaha seems pretty reliable FWIW. I've now separated the audio from video path as my Oppo player has two HDMI outputs and allows you to do it that way. That seems to work pretty well also, although I can't say I've noticed any difference to quality of either video or audio that way. FWIW, it may be that setting your player/XBMC to a suitable fixed resolution might help, I think I did that somewhere along the way.

Through my Sony AVR, the other thing I need to do to get things to lock on are to switch inputs back and forth on my LG TV or turn the TV off and then on again. In short, it's not the product's fault and HDMI can be a bit quirky at times as far as handshaking and holding onto a lock.

I might look at getting a Dr. HDMI or something like that, since I'm using a Windows computer which is constantly polling to see if a monitor is connected.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.