Some nanoDIGI questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Problem 1: [rant] My nanoDIGI arrived with the ver1.0 firmware. I need to upgrade. Press the reset button,etc. But wait! I bought the in-a-box version. The reset button is in the box! I bought the in-a-box version so I wouldn't have to screw around in the box. Come on guys!!!! [/rant]

Problem 2: My nanoDIGI will not upload PEQ's from REW. There is no provision for this in the 1.0 firmware. PEQ's must be loaded by hand. Once I fix problem 1, will this feature appear? I have used uploaded REW PEQ's into a miniDPS 2x4 successfully. Works like a champ.

Problem 3: My subs are sealed 12" Dayton RSS315HF-4's. I want to EQ them in-room flat to 20Hz. I can do this by hand and eyeball and it works rather well. It occurs to me that REW should be able to do this automatically. However, unless I can solve problem 2, I will have to type in the advanced PEQ's by hand after each iteration.

Problem 4: I believe I have read this before and I think it is true. The in-room EQ, either by hand or REW has to be applied in the XO section. Applying in-room EQ in the input section produces bizarre results. The input section can only be used for minor tweaks.

BTW, I like the nanoDIGI a lot. It is a major improvement over the miniDSP, most likely because I am using much better DAC's than provided in the miniDSP. And of course I now do not have the DAC>ADC conversion required by the miniDSP analog input. One comment though. Because the nanoDIGI has inputs on one side and outputs on the other, it is hidden down in the spaghetti-like wiring behind my components. The in-a-box version really needs to have all connections on the same side. I realise that won't happen because that would require a unique board for the in-a-box version. Just saying....

Bob

Last edited:
Dave,

I haven't tried updating the firmware. The instructions with the update mentioned the reset and I haven't tried removing the screws to get in. I remember taking the screws out of the miniDSP to change the input sensitivity. The screws were in so tight that I stripped most of them.

lduante,

Right. Once I power down the amps, I just switch off the power strip. It would be nice to have the nanoDIGI up front with the rest of the electronics instead of "down there"!

Bob

Account Closed
Joined 2001
Bob,

The latest plugin and latest firmware are in your user downloads area on the miniDSP website. It shouldn't take you more than a few minutes to correct all of your issues.

I'm not sure why your nanoDIGI unit didn't have firmware version 2.X installed, but it's easy to update.

Cheers,

Dave.

OK, I tried to update the firmware. I did confirm that I have the latest plug-in. The upgrade utility opens, flashes a message "Devise not detected. Verify devise is in bootloader mode" for one second, grays itself out and disconnects the dsp. I will have to disassemble the box and find the reset button, as per the instructions. Before I reassemble the box, I will drill a hole in the case over the reset button, just in case I have to do this again. (Now, why couldn't miniDSP have figured that out, with a neat rubber plug in the hole.)

Bob

Account Closed
Joined 2001
I guess this must have been addressed with the later firmware upgrade.

Anyways, once you get firmware version 2.X installed you won't need access to the reset button any longer. I've just confirmed that it works fine from within the plug-in GUI and I can successfully change firmware without use of the button.

Dave.

Account Closed
Joined 2001
Dave,

That sort of increases my displeasure with miniDSP. I bought the in-a-box so I would't have to get in the box. V2.x was released quite a bit before my purchase. Oh, well...

Bob

Tough crowd. :)
You're only going to have to do this once, and it will only take about five minutes. :)

I was unfamiliar with the Topping DAC's but they look like a good value.

Cheers,

Dave.

Well, all, you will be happy to know that I successfully loaded the current firmware into my nanoDIGI-in-a-box. All is well and I didn't break anything.

I did some playing with REW to flatten the bottom end. I have plenty of amplifier but the question becomes where and how much digital gain to apply.

I don't have a lot of experience with DAC's. I had a M-Audio Ultratrak driving a miniDSP, but the overall SQ was created by the DAC's in the miniDSP. I got a D-20 on a whim, but it didn't make much difference. Once I got the nanoDIGI and another D-20, there was a substantial difference. I may put a couple of cheap DAC's that I have in the shop on the nanoDIGI just to see.

Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.