Using MiniDSP with Capacitor for Tweeter Protection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When working on speaker designs, sooner or later wires will inadvertently cross and ruin a HF unit. As backup protection with the 4 and 6 ohm tweeters I'm using, actively crossed between 2–3kHz, I'm considering a 20-33uF cap. After reading through several of the longer threads concerning use of a cap for added protection while working with the MiniDSP, I could still use clarification on two points:

1. Are more expensive poly caps advisable, i.e. does quality make any difference when it's coming into play only well below the active x-over frequency?

2. Does the cap still create an audible phase shift above the active x-over point?

Thanks in advance,
Luca

Last edited:
The cap is just in series with the driver's impedance, and so forms an RC filter. If you measure the impedance and import it in to the program "Passive Crossover Designer" you can add the cap and then see how the phase changes. In this way you can answer the question for yourself in the future - knowledge is power!

Otherwise, I would agree with Sreten's comments.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.