2x4 "hack" to get mono XLR balanced outputs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am using a MiniDSP 2x4 to be a low pass to a mono subwoofer. I was using a pair of L,R outputs (outputs 1 and 3, if it matters) and a Y-connector, then an RCA-XLR (mono) into channel A of a Behringer NU3000 (bridged). It worked, but I had a hum issue (not the MiniDSP's fault--even when it is out of circuit.) I made a DIY cable that takes the "hot" signals from the L & R (unbalanced) outs and puts them on the Neutral and Hot pins of the XLR (and ground to ground too). This seems to work as expected, but I need to invert the output of one of the channels. The noise is gone and I should have a hotter signal to the NU3000 also (something else I needed.)

By extension, add another obscure use to the MiniDSP: you can take unbalanced RCA inputs and make true XLR balanced outputs!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.