OpenDRC vs DEQX for phase, group delay and FR correction - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 7th January 2014, 01:11 AM   #1
frangus is offline frangus  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default OpenDRC vs DEQX for phase, group delay and FR correction

Just wondering how close the OpenDRC unit from miniDSP can get to the DEQX processor.

From the DEQX website:

Quote:
Correct your speakers first, then the room
In correcting the speakers—before the room—our comprehensive DEQX-Cal™ software generates correction filters for phase, timing coherence and frequency-response. Only then does DEQX-Cal measure from the listening area for room correction.

DEQX technology is unique
It corrects speaker frequency-response and timing errors by adjusting thousands of frequency groups, depending on your speakers’ measure­ments, so that they arrive at the correct time.
Traditional analog and digital EQ corrupts the timing coherence around the frequencies that they’re trying to equalize for volume. DEQX Processors slow down on-time and early-arriving frequencies so that slower frequencies can catch up.
Can the OpenDRC unit do the same as above?
Old 7th January 2014, 04:32 AM   #2
Davey is offline Davey  United States
diyAudio Member

miniDSP doesn't yet have a turn-key product that is the equivalent of a DEQX. Among other things, the OpenDRC platform is only a two-channel input, two-channel output device, whereas the DEQX is a fully functioning crossover as well.

The miniSHARC platform needs to be matched with an appropriate number of DAC's and then you can get to the same finish line the DEQX can....albeit with quite a bit more manual work.

The linear-phase filters/crossovers are primarily what we're talking about here, and the miniDSP miniSHARC unit can certainly do it.

However, check the difference in price between a DEQX and a miniDSP-based system.

Cheers,

Dave.
Old 7th January 2014, 09:00 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Davey, you'll have to excuse my poor technical understanding of the processes of room correction.

I guess what I am trying to ask is will the OpenDRC unit give me a better result than what I am currently using, which is a miniDSP and Room EQ wizard to correct in-room peaks and nulls in the frequency response of my passive loudspeakers?
Old 8th January 2014, 01:28 PM   #4
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frangus View Post
Hi Davey, you'll have to excuse my poor technical understanding of the processes of room correction.

I guess what I am trying to ask is will the OpenDRC unit give me a better result than what I am currently using, which is a miniDSP and Room EQ wizard to correct in-room peaks and nulls in the frequency response of my passive loudspeakers?
Do you have only two passively crossed speakers or multiple ones? If you have only 2 channels of nice passive speakers then the OpenDRC would work nicely. The OpenDRC has FIR capability where if I've understood correctly the DEQX doesn't. FIR is very nice to have and with it you don't have to stop at IIR room correction but can also make your passive speaker into a linear phase one which is nice =)

In more simple terms both should have IIR, which can change frequency response. FIR lets you change phase arbitrarily, which is awesome. You can for example use IIR to cross, or use passive or analogue crossovers and then use FIR to correct the phase afterwards, and fix the low frequency roll off such that the time domain response of the speaker is much better.

Last edited by OllBoll; 8th January 2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 9th January 2014, 03:50 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Ollboll, yeah its for a passive speaker.

I may go back to active via miniDSP in the future but for now passive is a simpler solution for my current situation.

Seems like OpenDRC will work well for me.
Old 11th January 2014, 04:45 PM   #6
Davey is offline Davey  United States
diyAudio Member

I think the OpenDRC platform would work great.

Your initial query confused me a bit since you mentioned the DEQX. So, I assumed your primary interest was in constructing linear-phase filters with its FIR capability.

If you are considering an active crossover unit in the future you could transplant the OpenDRC-DI internals into a larger enclosure and connect some of the Curryman DAC's to create an excellent setup.

Dave.

Hide this!Advertise here!