Is this the setup I want? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 30th December 2013, 04:25 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Is this the setup I want?

I have been using the miniDSP-in-a-box for quite a while, and I am generally happy with the results. However, I am concerned about the analog input to the miniDSP. This means Computer>>DAC>ADC>processing>DAC. I am looking to avoid the initial DAC>ADC conversion.

I do not want to play with kits and stacks. I build speakers, not electronics. We are all idiot-savants, aren't we. So....

I am thinking of upgrading to the nanoDIGI-in-a-Box. My computer only has USB output, but USB>SPDIF/Toslink converters are readily available. I can then go into the nanoDIGI SPDIF and SPDIF to DAC's and then on the the amps.

Question: Will the nanoDIGI upsample all input to 24/192? If so, I do not want to do any SRC in the player.

Thoughts?

Bob
Old 30th December 2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Davey is offline Davey  United States
diyAudio Member

Bob,

The nanoDIGI does a SRC to 96khz. That's what it will spit out of the four outputs....regardless of what you input.

Dave.
Old 31st December 2013, 02:03 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Dave. I assume that the nanoDIGI will not attempt to resample a 24/96 input. If so, I get to decide whether the SRC in my player sounds different/better than the hardware SRC.

Another related topic: I read an article extolling the vast improvement it SQ of a $5000 UBS>SPDIF converter over a $100 one. Can this really be true? It would seem to me that if the output bits are the same as the input bits, the conversion should be transparent. All of the damage to the digital signal happens in the DAC conversion to analog. Am I totally wrong?

Bob
Old 31st December 2013, 03:07 PM   #4
Davey is offline Davey  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't have any experience with $5000 USB/SPDIF converters so can't help you there.
Subjective evaluation is in the ear of the beholder, so even if I did my opinion is pretty much meaningless.

Dave.
Old 31st December 2013, 03:37 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Particularly with not a hint of objective analysis. But my real question is can a USB>SPDIF converter actually affect the SQ?

Bob
Old 1st January 2014, 11:12 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately yes, digital signals can suffer due to noisy power supply, poor grounding, clocking issues... It is a shame that to many audio components of this type are still designed/built on subjective performance.

I've just ordered a few pieces from miniDSP, one being the miniStreamer which is basically a USB > S/PDIF & I2S sound card. There's a brief objective review on there site forum which shows the unit to have a THD+N of ~ -93dB [0.0022%). Not amazing, but good enough for real world applications.

Paul
Old 7th February 2014, 01:20 AM   #7
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

This may be something of interest here: I was wondering if the minDSP affects SQ so I did this test of measuring the response of a speaker with and without miniDSP. Results were surprising: miniDSP actually flattened the phase of a fullrange driver. The frequency response curve was identical with and without above the XO point. There was additional overshoot in the impulse response but not bad. Subjectively I could not hear the difference, nor could I measure it.

The Nautaloss Ref Monitor

My biggest gripe is that the input impedance of the miniDSP is rather low and makes me lose 11dB of input line level signal so my amps need a preamp or change of gain setting if I want the same peak SPL.
Old 7th February 2014, 12:01 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I finally settled on the nanoDIGI. Cost me a USB/SPDIF converter and an additional DAC, but now I have full digital from the hard drive to the DAC's. Better SQ and more output from the DAC(s).

Bob
Old 7th February 2014, 12:54 PM   #9
peufeu is offline peufeu  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
Particularly with not a hint of objective analysis. But my real question is can a USB>SPDIF converter actually affect the SQ?
Bob
If the DAC connected to it passes all noise/jitter/etc from the SPDIF into the output analog, yeah. That's a problem with the DAC though.
Old 7th February 2014, 03:13 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peufeu View Post
If the DAC connected to it passes all noise/jitter/etc from the SPDIF into the output analog, yeah. That's a problem with the DAC though.
That is my understanding. As long as the converter is passing the bit stream, it is incumbent on the DAC to fix the timing errors.

Bob

Hide this!Advertise here!