External laptop battery as a power supply for Minidsp 4x10 hd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

This is my first post a I will soon be a new Minidsp customer. I recently purchased a Minidsp 4x10 hd from a French vendor and I am patiently waiting for it.

I read several posts dealing with Thump noise while turning off the device. I must say that I am currently facing the same issue with my actual digital crossover (Xilica XP3060). A way around was to turn it on first, and off last. This is not a big deal, except when the whole house is turning off suddenly !

This is why I was wondering if using an external laptop battery was not the good solution. The power path would be : wall -> ac PSU -> battery -> Minidsp. I found several external battery delivering 12 v. Had anyone tested this solution ?

Thanks in advance, and Merry Christmas !

Philippe

I tried a hefty 12.6v lipo battery which was a big improvement on a Skynet smps psu.

I am currently using a hefty linear supply (rated 5amps peak at 12v) which has proven to be superb. It gives a very clean top end, strong dynamics and a solid bass. I toyed with the idea of putting a 12v gel battery in parallel (sort of a super-capacitor) but it doesn't seem needed.

Personally I have moved away from smps type supplies but that doesn't mean a well designed one won't yield good results. My own question would be have you examined the output of the intended supply on a scope? It's the only way to get a handle on what junk it might be throwing down the line. I am not sure a battery will aid filtering.

I have never experienced any turn off thumps with the minidsp 2x8, irrespective of power scheme.

Ho Goto,

Indeed, I will move away from this laptop battery idea. I found some hefty 12v and 2.5 amp linear PSU which should be better than the basic one delivered with the product.

However, since I plugged and installed my new 4x10 Hd, I found 2 strange things :
- one of my Amp is an Accuphase E350 that I use as a Pre and as an external Amp (pre E350 -> MiniDSP -> amp E350). The Accuphase has analog meters that are stable when used standalone, but unstable when plugged with MiniDSP as mentioned. To me, it means that the MiniDSP is delivering a signal with some noise. Is this can come from the basic PSU?
- there are some noise in my speakers (compression drivers Beyma with 110 dB sensibility and Fostex with 106 dB). The noise is louder in the Fostex. PSU again or MiniDSP poor signal to noise ratio?

For your information, MiniDSP is plugged with RCA, configured with 2v Rms input and 0.9v Rms out. I found no differences when changing those 2 parameters.

Regards

Philippe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.