USBStreamer>MiniDSP>Curryman DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Everyone

I am just starting again on my adventures through the áudio world :)

I just purchased the MiniDSP together with the USBStreamer for use with my PC as source. Can anyone share a diagram of the complete connections and configs that should be done between the 2 boards for correct I2S communication between them?

Furthermore I would like to use na external DAC, such as CurrymanDAC, after the MiniDSP, in order to avoid the MiniDSP onboard DAC. I would like to have 4 channels out (I2S) from MiniDSP to the Curryman DAC so I understand I need 2 CurrymanDACs. That's fine until here, but also I have the same doubt on a diagram of the complete connections and configs that should be done between the 2 boards for correct I2S communication between them?

Do I have to "inform" MiniDSP that I want to use the I2S outputs instead of the analogue outputs?

I will be gladly waiting for your help. Thanks!

I forgot to mention that I am able to lock the sample rate to 48 using the media player I use in the PC which is JRiver Media Center. From my extensive Reading in this and DIYAudio fórum I understand that this has to be like that once the USB streamer will output exactly what you feed them with and the MINIdsp can only "understand" 48khz files.

I don't use High Resolution files and this is no problem for me.

Any help then?

It is correct, the miniDSP 2x4 etc. work at a sample rate of 48Khz. The miniDigi has an on-board Sample Rate Converter, so no need to change SR in software, just keep the files as they are and let the miniDigi do the work.

IIRC, the recommended connection between miniStreamer and miniDigi is via SPDIF.

Paul

The bulk if my library is 16/44 FLAC with some 24/88 and 24/96, plus a smattering of MP3 at 128,256 and 340K. I have three chances to up/down sample -- player, DS, miniDIGI. OK, really only two. ;) And, I have three different SRC's in the player. I would just have to play around and see which sounds the best.

Unfortunately, I can only do USB out, so if I decide to go straight digital, I will have to include a USB>>SPDIF converter in the chain. My computer is so thin that it cannot contain an optical drive. It is getting to the point that USB and WiFi are the only I/O options. It would be very nice if a version of the miniDSP-in-a-box appeared with USB input rather than analog. The DAC>>ADC>>DAC double conversion is disconcerting, although it does sound pretty good.

Bob

I hear what your saying, I run Windows 7 64bit on a 10" Tablet PC. This is my main computer and I have two USB ports to plug everything into... bit of a pain every so often, but it works well most of the time :)

A miniDSP with a USB input for playback would be very nice. However no need for a USB to SPDIF converter as this is built into the miniStreamer... you get a choice of I2S out via the header or SPDIF (coaxial). You can wire either to the miniDigi.

The chain would be miniStreamer > miniDigi > miniDSP. If you didn't want to spend the extra $60 + p&p for the miniDigi, then miniStreamer > miniDSP via I2S and sample rate conversion could be done in software as mentioned.

@ meira007: I can't remember seeing any mention of needing to tell the miniDSP if you are using the I2S output to feed an external DAC.

Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.