miniDSP miniDIGI pinout on expansion connector J16

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got a miniDIGI http://www.minidsp.com/images/documents/miniDIGI manual.pdf

Does someone know the true pin-out for the expansion connector J16 ?

As per pin description for expansion header J16 on page 2 in manual miniDIGI

www.minidsp.com/images/documents/miniDIGI%20manual.pdf

pins 5,6,7 and 8 should be ground(ed). Testing with my simple ohmmeter only 3 pins are GND. Either pins 5,6 and 7 or pins 5,6 and 8. I tried carefully to find the fourth grounded pin but couldn't find it.

Is this description correct/valid ?

What is the correct pinout and layout for wiring on expansion header J16 of miniDIGI ?

Description only explains a total of 28 pins, but the header has 30 pins. What about the 2 remaining pins ?

I would like to connect USBStreamer I2S data out ch1&2 --> miniDIGI I2S_DATA_IN1&2 etc.

I would like to miniDIGI with I2S in and out ? How to wire and set the jumpers ?

Rgds
AW

Account Closed
Joined 2001
I just took a quick continuity measurement on my miniDIGI board and it does show ground on all four of those pins....5,6,7,8.

Regarding the extra pin locations with no connections: The miniSHARC board also is configured this way. I suppose this is just a parts-related thing so they can minimize the number of different headers required for the various boards.

Dave.

Last edited:
I checked again but only 3 pins grounded. I have two miniDIGIs from miniDSP. It is the same for both miniDIGIs I have. Only 3 pins grounded. I saw a picture of a miniDIGI. It had an imprint on the pcb mine do not have. May be there are different/various board revisions with changing pin-out. How to detect the signals on J16 ? I do not have other measuring instruments than my small ohmmeter. Any idea ?

Regards
AW

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Description only explains a total of 28 pins, but the header has 30 pins. What about the 2 remaining pins ?

I would like to connect USBStreamer I2S data out ch1&2 --> miniDIGI I2S_DATA_IN1&2 etc.

I would like to miniDIGI with I2S in and out ? How to wire and set the jumpers ?
Rgds
AW

Hi AW

Expansion slot on the board has 28 pins but the ribbon cable and the attached connectors is with 30. Ribbon cable lines 29 and 30 are left unconnected.

If you are working with a stereo signal (and not multichannel), you can easily connect the USBstreamer to and from the miniDIGI using the TOSLINK input and output.
If you choose this route, you can follow the connection logic (replace the “SPDIF” with “TOSLINK” and “MiniSTREAMER” with “USBstreamer”) and the jumper settings on this thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/minidsp/238892-my-stack.html

George

Hi George

Thanks a lot. Very interesting your stack. With/by/via TOS and SPDIF everything works fine on/with my miniDIGI in and out and loop-through. No problem at all. I have difficulties with I2S wiring on miniDIGI. The description for pin-out on J16 pin 8 to 21 from miniDSP may be wrong. May be not updated after a board revision. I am trying to get correct pin-out description from miniDSP forum.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.