Would you trust it in an install? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 15th August 2013, 05:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Would you trust it in an install?

Added a minidsp 8*8 to the signal chain in a zoned. pub sound installation a week ago.

This morning there was a fault with the sound in the front bar. I wasn't in so I only have the layman descriptions of the manager and chef to go by, so not exactly the best to make a diagnosis with, but from what I could decode of their descriptions, the sound was cutting in and out and there may have been some additional noise in the signal.

It could have been Anything in the chain (source -> zone4 -> minidsp -> amps -> speakers) but I'm side-eyeing the minidsp because it is the most recent addition, and because it's pretty amazing for the price.

So, too good to be true? Would you trust one to run day in day out unsupervised?

The fault has disappeared now which is frustrating, makes it hard to pinpoint the problem device.
Old 15th August 2013, 05:15 PM   #2
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Maybe an appliance on the same circuit upsetting your unit?
Old 16th August 2013, 01:11 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

They don't seem to have a higher failure rate AFAIK than any other electronic device.

Really given the computing power available today, I suspect it's more a case of many other solutions being overpriced than of it being a "too good to be true" situation. The behringer iNuke amps with built in DSP are only $100 more than the non DSP versions. So MiniDSP certainly seems reasonable to me for the price.

I wouldn't be surprised if a cable or power connector on something got jostled or loosened when it was installed though. I suspect that is your most likely point of failure.

They are infamous for having a loud thump if the unit looses power while the amps are turned on. So that would be a strong clue that something was affecting it in that manner.

Last edited by Generic George; 16th August 2013 at 01:14 AM.
Old 17th August 2013, 03:00 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

George, I see you posting all over this forum with this same comment about the loud thump.

Have you even used your MiniDSP yet?

You are such a troll, dude.
Old 17th August 2013, 03:42 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLaub View Post
George, I see you posting all over this forum with this same comment about the loud thump.

Have you even used your MiniDSP yet?

You are such a troll, dude.
Seventeen threads down on this sub-forum.

8x8 turn-off thump

There are multiple threads on the MiniDSP forums, AVS and here.

If you've never experienced it, great for you. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist or isn't a problem.

Last edited by Generic George; 17th August 2013 at 03:46 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!