Would you trust it in an install?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Added a minidsp 8*8 to the signal chain in a zoned. pub sound installation a week ago.

This morning there was a fault with the sound in the front bar. I wasn't in so I only have the layman descriptions of the manager and chef to go by, so not exactly the best to make a diagnosis with, but from what I could decode of their descriptions, the sound was cutting in and out and there may have been some additional noise in the signal.

It could have been Anything in the chain (source -> zone4 -> minidsp -> amps -> speakers) but I'm side-eyeing the minidsp because it is the most recent addition, and because it's pretty amazing for the price.

So, too good to be true? Would you trust one to run day in day out unsupervised?

The fault has disappeared now which is frustrating, makes it hard to pinpoint the problem device.

They don't seem to have a higher failure rate AFAIK than any other electronic device.

Really given the computing power available today, I suspect it's more a case of many other solutions being overpriced than of it being a "too good to be true" situation. The behringer iNuke amps with built in DSP are only $100 more than the non DSP versions. So MiniDSP certainly seems reasonable to me for the price.

I wouldn't be surprised if a cable or power connector on something got jostled or loosened when it was installed though. I suspect that is your most likely point of failure.

They are infamous for having a loud thump if the unit looses power while the amps are turned on. So that would be a strong clue that something was affecting it in that manner.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.