Two questions - Digital output and Thump protection - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 31st July 2013, 08:32 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Two questions - Digital output and Thump protection

I have a MiniDSP 4x10 that I will be using for a L/C/R set of three way active speakers. I had initially assumed the CC would be a two way, but it wound up being a 3 way as well. Which exceeds the 8 analog outputs available.

So I'm left with a need for an extra "channel" and was wondering how/if one could use the two digital outputs to handle that task. Or would I just be better off either picking up another MiniDSP or perhaps using the built in DSP on something like a behringer iNuke.

Does anyone know if the "zero attack" limiters on some of the pro amps would be a usable solution to the on/off "THUMP"? From what I could decipher of the marketing verbiage, it sounds like the sort of issue that feature is designed to help with.

I still haven't found what looks to be a good solution for dealing with the thump, short of the "don't have the amps on when you turn it off/on". While effective and simple, it is not reassuring should something get unplugged or turned off by accident.

Have I missed something?
Old 5th August 2013, 03:45 AM   #2
JohnR is offline JohnR  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi George, you should be able to just connect a DAC to the SPDIF output, to give you the full ten channels out.
Old 6th August 2013, 03:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Hi George, you should be able to just connect a DAC to the SPDIF output, to give you the full ten channels out.
I have a Denon 3313ci as my pre-pro and it does lack any digital output other than the HDMI monitor outs. Monoprice does have a HDMI to SPDIF converter I might as well use it the two mains I think.

Boy this is going to have a lot of hardware between this and the amps...

Not that this is a bad thing necessarily.
Old 13th August 2013, 09:39 AM   #4
RAndyB is offline RAndyB  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic George View Post

Does anyone know if the "zero attack" limiters on some of the pro amps would be a usable solution to the on/off "THUMP"? From what I could decipher of the marketing verbiage, it sounds like the sort of issue that feature is designed to help with.

I still haven't found what looks to be a good solution for dealing with the thump, short of the "don't have the amps on when you turn it off/on". While effective and simple, it is not reassuring should something get unplugged or turned off by accident.

Have I missed something?
George,

see:
https://www.minidsp.com/forum/hardwa...?start=18#5992

and earlier posts for two solutions. This is for the miniDSP balanced, so the capacitor values probably need re-calculating.

Regards,

Andy

Hide this!Advertise here!