Recommendations for DSP - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 30th May 2013, 06:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Recommendations for DSP

Hi all,

I was advised to post this question here. I am relatively new to designing speakers. Others have recommended that I get away from passive XO at least during the design phase where it is easier to work with electronics (minidsp?).

I have 2 power amps available to me. my speaker designs are usually 3 way but they have the seperate terminals for bass and mid/tweet. I was thinking one amp for the woofer and one for the mid/tweet. I'll still have to mess with passive parts at the higher XO point but at least it wont be the big coils and caps (where the expense is). I assume this minidsp gets inserted in line after preamp aand before power amps. If anyone can suggest some brands? My electronics are very good so I have 2 choices: get something reasonably priced just to develop the XO and remove when done or buy something that sounds great but is expensive. My Electronics are Burson 160D, Audio Research SP8 Aragon 4004 MkII and Acoustat TNT 200. i am concerned that the electronics may not be up to par with the rest of my system.

Thanks.
Old 3rd June 2013, 10:18 AM   #2
minidsp is offline minidsp  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

@ Jimbones,

Get a miniDSP 2x4, add a 2way advanced plug-in and you'll be able to have fun very quickly.
There are quite a lot of app notes on our new website so please take the time to have a read. The new 2way app note (Building a 2way crossover | MiniDSP) is a starting point. All the basic app notes are then the next step.

Hoping this info helps.
DevTeam
Old 4th June 2013, 08:45 PM   #3
wmb is offline wmb  United States
diyAudio Member

What happened to the minidsp web site? I just tried to browse to it and got "Default Parallels Plesk Panel Page" instead. I tried two different computers on different ISPs and got the same result.
Old 5th June 2013, 02:23 AM   #4
minidsp is offline minidsp  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

@ Wmb

Yes, we just had a little downtime overnight for us as our provider switched IP for SSL.
It should now be all up and running providing your provider propagated the DNS.

Let us know if you have any questions and sorry for the incovenience.
DevTeam
Old 5th June 2013, 08:20 AM   #5
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Jimbones, you might consider looking at Soundeasy loudspeaker design software, which has an emulation mode that uses your multi-channel sound card to emulate the actual passive crossover. This is the nearest you will come to hearing how your designed crossover will sound without actually building it.

Hide this!Advertise here!