Amplifier for miniDSP 2.1 setup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've embarked on building a DSP system.

Ipod ----> Yamaha CR-2020 (used as a preamp) ----> miniDSP ----> Amplifier (?) ----> 2-Way Speakers and subwoofer.

I am building the speakers - Seas Excel mid and ScanSpeak tweeter. I will use biamping binding posts to send the signal directly to drivers.

My question is about amplification:
From what I have learned, I need 1 channel for each speaker. The sub has its own amp, so that's easy. To power the speakers, can I use a five channel amplifier? Like this Rotel 985, made for 5.1 THX audio:
images

Or do I need a separate amplifier for each speaker? The easiest solution is to buy individual class D amps for each speaker (e.g. topping or lepai), but this 5-channel option is available locally for a good price.

Thanks

Last edited:
My question is about amplification:
Like this Rotel 985, made for 5.1 THX audio:
images

I'm guessing that's an RB since it looks like a power amp from the back. If you don't need another two channels, and if you only need LR/S inputs, then something cheaper like a RB-850 (50 wpc) and a separate sub amp might be better for you. You can even use two RB- 2ch amps, running one in bridged mono for the sub, in order to double it's wattage to something a sub needs.

Alternately, you could try one of the Dayton sub-specific external amps. It may be overkill of the minidsp can provide phase correction though.

Forgive my miniDSP ignorance

Let's set aside the subwoofer. I already have one with its own dedicated amp.

For a 2 way stereo speaker setup, I'm under the impression that I need two conventional amplifiers. The additional set of inputs is the key component. That would mean two 2-channel Rotel amps (If I used the 850s). But this 5.1 version has two sets of inputs (RCA inputs in this case) so it might work.

Thanks for the reply. I'm surprised there isn't more conversation on here about amplifier selection. And I'm surprised that in the commercial section for MiniDSP, I couldn't get a response from the folks at MiniDSP themselves. I found this Elan z660 amp locally for a good price. It offers a lot of wiring options, bridging, mono, multiple inputs, bi-wire. Seems good for this purpose.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Your question about amplification was probably better placed on a different forum, and I guess this thread is a little off topic for the mini DSP section, which is why their staff didn't reply. That élan is interesting, and I wonder if it is good enough for a four way system in its 12ch version. That's a lot cheaper than the ones suggested by SL for his Orion design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.