Psychoacoustic bass enhancement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, why don't you explain what it is you think I don't grasp about it?

That you can emulate and tweak an effect that would otherwise take a lot of specialized equipment and/or loudspeakers, and have it work on virtually any loudspeaker/headphone.

That's the whole point of DSP in the first place. It's not to do something that can't be done using the right equipment, it's that you can have one piece of equipment that can do a lot of things, and that you can tune and combine those effects to suit your purpose.

miniDSP does not have an effect that does this particular effect yet hence the request as it would be of use to a lot of people.

Last edited:
Had a chance to re-read this thread (as I would anything with "psycho..."). And here's what I think.

Ordinary acoustic music doesn't need the trick boosting because the harmonics of an organ pedal note are already present and already signify to your ear when the fundamental is played whether or not it is actually sonically emitted from the sub.

But might be helpful for synthetic sounds like lots of other other-worldly enhancements cooked in the studio. It is all synthetic so who cares?

But it would be good to spare a 6-inch subwoofer from being fed 30 Hz notes that it doesn't know what to do with. Like sub-sonic filters of yesteryear (for vinyl recordings), good to filter out the noise.

When DIYers strive for great bass, we mean something we feel in our chest and on our feet on the floor and that signifies to us the present of profound low bass. The circuit described here does not bring those DIYers any closer to that great bass feelin'.

Ordinary EQ (esp fine-tuned DSP EQ) can tweak the bass to the taste of most folks.

Ben

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.