DAC before miniDSP - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 10th January 2013, 09:03 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Default DAC before miniDSP

My digital source is digi out only.

As the miniDSP 2x4 re-digitises the analogue signal for DSP processing, how important is choice of DAC prior to the miniDSP?

Will I hear differences between DACs etc etc?
Old 11th January 2013, 05:50 AM   #2
slomatt is offline slomatt  United States
diyAudio Member

Ideally you want to avoid going from digital -> analog -> digital because each conversion is a lossy process. Using a stacked board such as the MiniDIGI you can feed your digital signal directly into the MiniDSP. Then you can decide if you want to use all 4 of the analog outputs, or if you want to use loop-back mode to send some of the channels to the digital output which you can then run through your DAC.

- Matt
Old 11th January 2013, 05:58 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

i am also currently using a DAC before miniDSP and i see its not performing good. simple analog out from my mp3 player sounds better than the one when audio is fed thro DAC. i guess redundant conversion takes away the quality
Old 11th January 2013, 01:42 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Will have to look into the miniDIGI

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundnovice View Post
simple analog out from my mp3 player sounds better than the one when audio is fed thro DAC. i guess redundant conversion takes away the quality
Your mp3 player has to convert digital files to analogue (DAC) for that analogue output to exist, so its not a redundant conversion. Rather a necessary one if you dont have the miniDIGI. It seems your outboard DAC is not a good match - mp3's wont help matters either

Hide this!Advertise here!