New MiniDSP UMIK-1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All, first time in this Mini forum. I just ordered the MiniDSP UMIK-1 and it shipped this morning. Has anyone here use it before? From all I can tell it is the exact same thing as the Part Express OmniMic but for $75 instead of almost $300. I am looking forward to using this. Any hints or suggestions?

Wow, no one has used this?

From a post of mine on HTS:

So I went to the post office today and picked up my UMIK-1. Apparently when miniDSP ships it to you they require a signature for delivery. Once I got home and started to unpack it, I must say I was sorely disappointed in what I saw. Not with the actual product, but with the care in which this product was packed. As you can see below there was nothing protecting the carrying case except a thin cardboard shell. Because of this my tab that is supposed to keep it shut was snapped off, the case was open a bit when I opened the box, it is cracked in multiple places, and the bottom is scuffed to no end. Definitely a much different experience than when I opened my calibrated Behringer mic.

As to the mic and accessories, I'm extremely happy with them. The mic has a nice weight to it and is fairly similar to the Behringer, albeit a bit smaller. The small stand is a nice touch and the USB cord feels substantial, if a bit short. I plugged the mic into my macbook pro and it was immediately recognized. Fired up REW and opened the MIDI audio controller and I was able to adjust the gain, add the cal file and it worked first time. There were zero issues, no drivers or software, and nothing else to do except calibrate the REW SPL meter with the new mic. Absolutely fantastic.

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0571.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.