4x10 volume control - how is it done internally? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 17th September 2012, 03:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question 4x10 volume control - how is it done internally?

I have a 4x10 with the VOL-FP (front panel knob, can adjust volume). How is the volume control is implemented internally?

I assume that this is done in the digital domain... is there dithering or other means used to reduce distortion from bit truncation? There is lots of info about how "bad" digital volume control can be when it is not implemented with care, so I would like to be informed about this for the 4x10 implementation.

Before posting here I looked around but haven't been able to find any info on this elsewhere...

-Charlie
Old 20th September 2012, 12:24 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default MiniDSP volume control

Hi Charlie

I am new to the forum. Did you every get an answer on how volume control is implemented in MiniDSP. I also have read all the articles about bad implementation of digital volume. Would be interesting to see how MiniDSP does it.
Old 20th September 2012, 01:00 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

No response yet. I asked this question just a couple of days ago, and I can be patient for an answer.

It would be nice to get some info from someone on the MiniDSP DevTeam or from the supplier. This is definitely an important issue.

-Charlie
Old 22nd September 2012, 01:59 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

bump... would like to know!
Old 25th September 2012, 04:33 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Anyone????
Old 27th September 2012, 05:51 AM   #6
minidsp is offline minidsp  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

@ Charlie,

Sorry for the delay, many places to answer emails/forum posts these days.. Sometime we miss some!
In answer to your question, the volume control algorithm is out of our control here (done as a block algorithm under SigmaDSP where we don't have access to the code unlike our Sharc OpenDRC platform) so we can't give much detail on how they did that implementation unfortunately.

With this said, dither should be applied mostly in 16bit system. That's where really that was required. In a 28bit or 32bit system, it's less of an issue since you'd be limited by the DAC performance before the DSP distortion (reason for introducing dither). We haven't been able to see that distortion unless you go down to very low level (i.e. -80dB) where at this point, if you run the DSP in this configuration, you shouldn't be worrying about Dither, you should be worrying about gain structure! :-)

Devteam

Hide this!Advertise here!