minDSP 4x10Hd questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Members,

My eyes stopped on the minDSP 4x10Hd (in a case). I am considering the option to get a miniDSP device in the chain form my new project. However I have several doubts. With this first message I'll try to ask basic things then if responses are positive to me I'll keep asking something more.

I went to a lot of post and I figured out that most problems are with gain-chain (I read the diyaudio article)... as I suspected. Forgive some of my ignorance, and please forgive me if I've overlooked some information already posted. I am not an electronic engineer... please help me understading.

My chain ideal chain is as follows:

Analog playing: Phono → Phono Preamp with volume control → miniDSP analog input → amps and speakers

OR

Digital Playing: PC → usb soundcard SPDIF output → miniDSP digital input → amps and speakers

The amps are solid state (simple designs) with 1V input sensitivity and 33KOhm input impedance, rated at 120W/4Ohms, about 120dB of SNR

The speakers is a 3 ways design with about 95dB 1W/1m

Question 1: Does the miniDSP device allows to switch between analog/digital inputs? This is important because I usually listen 50% vinyls and 50% digital sources.

Question 2: how the miniDSP handles digital operations? Are them integer or floating point?

Question 3: how the miniDSP handles volume control? Did I understood well that a rotary knob can be added to control the output master volume digitally?

Question 4: which kind of ADC and DAC chip are used? Are them integrated into the DSP chip or rather are stand alone chips, if yes which?

Question 5: what about clock? I understood that the chip will resample to 24bit/96KHz, before DSP operatins. Is this clocked to a local quartz or what?

Sorry for the number of questions. I hope somebody ccan explain.

Best Wsihes
Pierre

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Some more answers:

2: DSP is ADAU1445 Sigma DSP from Analog devices. As far as I know it is working internally with 28bit (math is done with 56bit double precision) integer, which is quite common for such DSPs. Precision is sufficient not to introduce errors within the normal operation (e.g. good gain settings, filters as used in the miniDSP plugin software). Have a look to the datasheet for more information.

3. rotary knob and infrared remote control can be used to set the master output volume. The attenuation is done digitally in the DSP or DAC (not absolutely sure where is it done, but should be quite equal wrt quality). I've done some measurements and within a range of -60dB and 0dB THD and S/N does not suffer significantly. If you need more attenuation you should rethink your gain settings (e.g. resistive attenuation after miniDSP) ;-)

4. ADC/DAC is Cirrus Logic CS42528, which is quite good. Have a look to the datasheet for more information.

5: correct. ADC and DSP are running with 24bit/96kHz internaly. If the digital input signal has another sample rate, it will be resampled using the BB SRC4382 asynchronous sample rate converter, which works quite transparent. There is a local master clock onboard.

In gerneral the overall sound quality of the miniDSP 4x10 is really good, especially with view on the given price. There have been several comparisons with other (also much more expensive) DSP systems and the results are very good. I am very happy with my miniDSP2x8:D

regards, Daniel

Hi Daniel,

thanks a lot.

... rotary knob and infrared remote control can be used to set the master output volume. The attenuation is done digitally in the DSP or DAC (not absolutely sure where is it done, but should be quite equal wrt quality). I've done some measurements and within a range of -60dB and 0dB THD and S/N does not suffer significantly. If you need more attenuation you should rethink your gain settings (e.g. resistive attenuation after miniDSP) ;-)

do you have the balanced or unbalanced version? Which kind of chain do you have? Do you feed it at digital input? What kind of amps/speakers do you have?

Best
Pierre

Joined 2010
Paid Member
4x10 has both, balanced and unbalanced outputs ;)

I am using the unbalanced outputs.
Current setup: all sources (CD, DVD, TV) are digital (will add an analog source with DIY MM pre soon), amplifiers are Naim Audio NAP160 + SymAsym and speakers are DIY 2 way (Audax AM170Z2 with B&G Neo3) + Subwoofer (Visaton TIW250 + plate amp).

Best regards, Daniel

4x10 has both, balanced and unbalanced outputs ;)

I am using the unbalanced outputs.
Current setup: all sources (CD, DVD, TV) are digital (will add an analog source with DIY MM pre soon), amplifiers are Naim Audio NAP160 + SymAsym and speakers are DIY 2 way (Audax AM170Z2 with B&G Neo3) + Subwoofer (Visaton TIW250 + plate amp).

Best regards, Daniel

what kind of SPL max you get inroom?

Pierre

There is a small difference in audio quality if running 96KHz songs or 48kHz songs. I prefer 196kHz 24bit (or 64 bit!). Usually this is just important when playing your own recorded material since most finished songs are CD quality, i.e. 44.1kHz, 16 bit. When recording songs I try to use as high quality as I can, preferably at 64 bit because when using a lot of VST plugins (VST = digital plugins that musicians use in DAW software that simulate audio compressors, or EQs) the amount of bit decrease in relation to how many plugins you use. One EQ plugin is good. 20 plugins more is radio quality.
This make me question if room correction is necessary as this might be one digital plugin too many.

Last edited:
Thanks curryman

I have another question regarding plug-ins. There are two option for the 4x10:
Audio plug-ins summary table | miniDSP
The 10x10 has one more band equalizer (6). It runs however on samplerate 48kHz as oppose to 96kHz with the other one. Would the different samplerate make a difference? Anyone who have tried both and compared?

Do you need so many bands ?

You have 5 on the input + 5 x 4 = 25 stereo bands , I don't even use the 5 input ones

Hello curryman,
Sorry for waking an old post... I would really appreciate you help...
I have previously bought a miniDSP 2x4+miniDIGI combo which sounds very good (powered by a 12v high-capacity battery).
Due to that success I have recently bought the miniDSP OpenDRC-DA8, 96KHz plugin, which does not measures nor sounds as good as the 2x4 combo in the >1KHz region (currently trying to sell it locally...).
I am contemplating whether the miniDSP 4x10Hd will prove to be of higher quality than the 2x4+miniDIGI combo.
Do you have any measurements or info on the 4x10? anything will help...

Thanx

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.