USB Streamer - MultiChannel connectivity

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi MiniDSP.

I'm considering in my plannings to connect multiple devices to the USBstreamer.

Unfortunately it seems that the way the I2S header is made allows for connecting it to one device with multiple channels only. E.g. Buffallo III.
I'm not sure if there are more devices out there!?!?

If I would like to eg. connect 4 of your digital amps via I2S to the USB streamer, how would I do that?
I guess it would require a logic board which splits the clock channels !?!?
I'd be very happy if you could outline a feasable solution.

Another option could be also to go for 4*I2S to 4*SPDIF-out - with another board.
Is there an option to accomplish this on your USBstreamer.?
If not. Would you be interested to built such on option?

Thx.

Last edited:
Hello,

Not sure I understand your question when you say :" the I2S header is made allows for connecting it to one device with multiple channels". Can you clarify?

The USBStreamer is an I2S master device. It would provide one set of clocks (MCLK/SCLK/LRCLK) to all I2S slave devices (i.e. DAC). So you could use multiple DAC just driven from a single USBStreamer. Please clarify if we're not understanding your question.

DevTeam

Hello,

Not sure I understand your question when you say :" the I2S header is made allows for connecting it to one device with multiple channels". Can you clarify?

The USBStreamer is an I2S master device. It would provide one set of clocks (MCLK/SCLK/LRCLK) to all I2S slave devices (i.e. DAC). So you could use multiple DAC just driven from a single USBStreamer. Please clarify if we're not understanding your question.

DevTeam

Yep. To connect the streamer to multiple I2S devices I need to split ( fan-out) the I2S. The clock leads usually need to be buffered. People seem to be using somithink like that .

I think I can't just connect LRCLK,BCLK, MCLK in parallel.

Basically you'd end up 4* LRCLK,BCLK,MCLK,DATA for 8 channels.

Ok, I see what you mean now. Sure you could indeed buffer your clocks as required in between the boards. Running a dedicated driver for each clock really comes handy when you have long lines, sometimes you can get away with it on a PCB, but maybe not the case with wired configuration. It all depends on your setup so no single answer "you must do this" for all. :) Running a zero delay clock buffer (e.g. 1by4) could be a way to do it. Most of users of the USBstreamer would connect that board to their custom interface (e.g. multichannel DAC/AMP) so you'd do the buffering there.

DevTeam

Hello,

DevTeam

I have a similar question. Can I, and how would I, connect this to 2 entirely separate dacs. Are there special considerations?

Your datasheet says that the TOSLINK I/O is good for 176.4k (24-bit?) input and 192k (24-bit?) output. I was under the impression that Toshiba stopped making their really fast TOSLINK transmitters and receivers with their current offerings going only to 96kHz sample rate. What devices do you use and where can they be purchased if one wanted to build a device to connect to USBStreamer via TOSLINK?

thanks

To all, sorry for the delay in getting back to you and missing these posts (many forum to attend to + emails). Our apologies and feel free to send us a bump if you don't hear from us.

@ jrenkin,

For a simple 2 dac connectivity sharing the MCLK/SCLK/LRCLK, it won't be a problem. It's quite typical on a board to share the clock line. Keeping the signal integrity is what you should care about. Even if you were to have a buffer for each clock, if you're not careful about signal integrity and proper clock termination on your DAC board, that's where it "could" affect your jitter. Hoping this clarifies.

@ Brian L,
We use a 25Mbps Toslink TX/RX so we're indeed fine for 192kHz. It's a local OEM supplier so not something that you can buy off Digikey in single pieces, however it's quite common if you look online for 25Mbps toslink. Hoping this info helps.

@ Zoka959,

A duplicated post to something you asked already on our forum. In answer to your question, yes it's an ASIO compatible platform so no reason it wouldn't work with ASIO compatible software.

DevTeam

mini-dsp,

Actually, before asking I did an extensive search with two search engines. I do not see that 25MHz Toslink receivers are "quite common". In fact, I come up with nothing that can be ordered in small quantities, and only a couple questionable items that could be ordered in large quantities. Perhaps, since you seem to be able to get them so easily in Hong Kong, perhaps you would consider selling them in small quantities.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.