USBStreamer multichannel USB audio interface

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got my USBStreamer working last night, with a completely custom ES9023P board:

2011 MINI Cooper CarPC Build - Page 6 - DIYMA Car Audio Forum

IMG_2375.jpg

IMG_2381.jpg

IMG_2370.jpg

Absolutely awesome job, Neil!:eek:
Brilliant!:hbeat:
If you will want to sell some of those 9023 boards, please let me know!

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Great Job Neil :up:

I partly read the linked thread DIYMA Forum. Very nice explanations and a really impressive car audio installation.

Do you use any (additional) buffer for the distribution of BCLK and LRCLK from the miniSTREAMER to your ES9023 boards? According to the datasheet there is an onboard buffer (in I2S Master mode). Can you tell what chip is used (don't have a miniSTREAMER jet)?

In the DIYMA forum you mentioned that you might be willing to provide the circuit diagrams and board layouts. I would be interested, since I am about to build my own ES9023 boards (including JG filter buffer).

Best regards, Daniel

Neil,

Sorry for the delay as we're just back from the CES show...but with this said:

Wow, great work and nicely implemented too! :)
We love the thinking that went behind. It's nicely done and well laid out from what we can see. We love seeing that kind of community projects creating an ecosystem around our products... great stuff..

Do get in touch with us if you want to create a commercial version for those out there looking for a similar kit. We're certainly happy to help your project and our community by cross-marketting your product to our page.You can easily contact us from the website contact page.

Looking forward to seeing more. :)

DevTeam

DevTeam

Hi,

I posted this question on the miniDSP site but I'll try here also.

Has anyone got the USBStreamer to work with Linux? I tried with a VoyageMPD distro (with the latest ALSA drivers included), but when I connect the USBStreamer I get the following message:

Code:
[82786.942036] usb 1-5: new high-speed USB device number 6 using ehci_hcd
[82787.071186] usb 1-5: New USB device found, idVendor=2752, idProduct=0016
[82787.086003] usb 1-5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[82787.101001] usb 1-5: Product: USBStreamer
[82787.115857] usb 1-5: Manufacturer: miniDSP
[82787.130677] usb 1-5: SerialNumber: 0000
[82788.059947] usbaudio: unit 51: unexpected type 0x09
[82788.074690] snd-usb-audio: probe of 1-5:1.0 failed with error -5

Any ideas?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The USBStreamer seems to be limited to a sample rate of 176.4 kHz when using the Toslink input.

Is this limitation caused by.

1. The Toslink receiver?
2. The XMOS chip?
3. The driver SW?

I would like to run it at up to 192 kHz with an external master clock. Data input and output will be through the I2S interface.
Is there a way to do this?

Hi,

I posted this question on the miniDSP site but I'll try here also.

Has anyone got the USBStreamer to work with Linux? I tried with a VoyageMPD distro (with the latest ALSA drivers included), but when I connect the USBStreamer I get the following message:

Code:
[82786.942036] usb 1-5: new high-speed USB device number 6 using ehci_hcd
[82787.071186] usb 1-5: New USB device found, idVendor=2752, idProduct=0016
[82787.086003] usb 1-5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[82787.101001] usb 1-5: Product: USBStreamer
[82787.115857] usb 1-5: Manufacturer: miniDSP
[82787.130677] usb 1-5: SerialNumber: 0000
[82788.059947] usbaudio: unit 51: unexpected type 0x09
[82788.074690] snd-usb-audio: probe of 1-5:1.0 failed with error -5

Any ideas?
I get the same error in my /var/log/messages, my setup is a Raspberry Pi with Raspbian 2013-02-09, linux kernel 3.6.11, with a USBStreamer v1.1. I'm determined to make this work or get another USB->TOSLINK adapter... if I do figure it out, I'll post details here.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
After having replaced the Toslink transmitter and receiver I can answer my own question from #27. With the new devices I am able to make a loop back connection at a sample rate of 192 kHz.

So the XMOS chip and the driver SW seems to be OK.

Although I do think that a better receive circuit with a good PLL would be less critical regarding the quality of the output signal from the Toslink receiver.

External power supply

Hi,
I've been using the USBstreamer with a Buffalo 3 DAC. I would like to try using an external power supply for the USBstreamer. I assume that the jumper on the board needs to be removed when using external power. Is this correct? Does this isolate it from the computer power supply? I have searched this forum and the MiniDSP forum and not found any info about this.
Thanks, Mike

Hi guys!
I would use usbStreamer as pc-based x-over, if possible.
So some software combo should listen to the stereo signal on toslink-IN, then lock on it, load the appropriate FIR-coefficients for that Fs into 8-channel convolver (VST-plugin?), pipe INs into convolver, and output OUTs onto 4* i2s ... Is it possible? What software pipeline / settings to use?

Last edited:
Sure, you can indeed use the USBStreamer as PC based crossover. Been done many times already. Just need a software that's able to output as ASIO or WDM then connect your DACS to the I2S out.That's all. :)

As for the software choice, that's under your responsibility. The features you're looking for (locking on SPDIF, changing coeff, etc..) Not sure if they exist to be honest.. Let us know if you find one that does all of it though. Would be a neat application.

DevTeam

Sure, you can indeed use the USBStreamer as PC based crossover. Been done many times already. Just need a software :)
.. Let us know if you find one that does all of it though. Would be a neat application.

DevTeam

That's why i'm asking... I strongly hope that someone has found one that does all of it though... Or at least working combination of several programs...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.