multi channel digital input

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
Let's say we are using the minidsp 2x8 with a digi-FP interface.
What happens if the digital signal is of multi channel type (5.1 or 7.1)?

How does this setup handle this type of signal ?
Does it only use the front L&R signals ?
Does it create an artificial stereo signal from the multi channel one?
Does it go buggy?

Is it better/different with an other setup?
with the minidsp 2x8 and the miniDIGI?
with the minidsp 8x8 and the digi-FP?
with the minidsp 8x8 and the miniDIGI?

Thanks for your answer!

Hi, I haven't tried it but I'm pretty sure it won't work. AFAIK decoding DD/DTS etc requires a license that is affordable only for high-volume manufacturers. Best bet is probably to use an 8x8 with a DVD player or other source that provides the 5.1 out as analogue.

You might get a more specific response on miniDSPs own forum.

Hi,
I'm interested in NanoDigi 2X8 and also in the digital version of OpenDRC, though it is not clear for me how these could match my needs.

What i want to set up with those is a digital preamp with 4 ways xover digi outputs.

OpenDRC would be perfect as front end for input selection and volume control. I am interested in FIR processing but only for global excess phase processing ( no really for room correction, rather for Xover excess phase correction). I am also an Acourate user, so that i suppose that i could do all these tasks with the standard version of Acourate.

NanoDigi would be perfect for the rest of the processing at xover level.

My only worry is that i see ( too ?) many unnecessary interface processing in such a setup: I2S -> SPDIF out in OpenDRC and SPDIF in -> SRC -> I2S in the NanoDigi.

My question is: Could i bypass those steps and connect directly at I2S level both units? Of course the OpenDRC casing would be discarded and both units housed in a suitable new rack.

Last edited:
@ GDO,

Sorry for missing your post.. not sure how it got in between our emails. Not sure if you got the answer to your question already but here it is in case:
- nanoDIGI + OpenDRC would indeed work fine to perform what you're looking for: Room correction @ input (using the power of FIR) + basic IIR at the output for crossover using the nanoDIGI.
- Knowing the fact that you're all digital and the quality of the SPDIF Receiver/converters we're talking about, your worry of additional SPDIF/I2S conversion doesn't really apply I think. Moving to I2S (a protocol meant for board to board and not implying that it would not be problem free) is going to add a lot more trouble than you'd ever be able to hear (or measure).

For that reason, we wouldn't advise it. Digital in to OpenDRC, Digital OUT to nanoDIGI and processing on the outputs is the way to go.

Hoping this info helps.

DevTeam

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.