Signal leads for balanced miniDSP - 3-wire vs. 2-wire+outer braid

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I plan on purchasing an 8x8-in-a-box unit for my mains once they are shipping, and I may also at the same time spring for a 2x4-in-a-box balanced to replace the 2x4-in-a-box unbalanced miniDSP I currently use for my Geddes-style multisub system. (Why? To get higher signal levels to my sub amps.)

When the miniDSP is available and shipped, I want to be ready to go. One of my amps has standard RCA inputs, and no balanced inputs. An amp I have on order has Phoenix/Euroblock inputs and no XLR or RCA inputs.

For the latter amp, is there any reason to go with a three conductor wire compared to one with 2 conductors and an outer braid, besides the fact that three conductors will likely look more elegant than stuffing a braid into one terminal?

Note: please limit answers to the narrow confines of the above question. I'm not interested in the "sonic properties" of different brands of wire, or other such things.

@ Pallas,

A 2 conductor with outer braid (shield) would be the way to go.In a balanced wiring, the shield's purpose is to shield the noise from the audio signal. i.e. if you have a 3 connector wire, it won't provide "shielding".

Makes sense?

DevTeam

Thanks. I was trying to be cheap and use wire I already had, but ended up getting a good deal on some surplus Belden 9154, which is 20AWG twisted pair inside a foil shield with a drain wire.

Looking forward to using it with the 8x8 miniDSP when you're shipping the boxed versions. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.