diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   miniDSP (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/minidsp/)
-   -   I already have a very good DAC, how do I use this with the MiniDSP? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/minidsp/207986-i-already-have-very-good-dac-how-do-i-use-minidsp.html)

Trismos 3rd March 2012 12:35 AM

I already have a very good DAC, how do I use this with the MiniDSP?

The miniDSP is a DAC in it's own right correct? If so, is it any good in this regard?

I just moved from a Grant DAC-09 to a Centrance DACmini. I am pretty happy with the Centrance. How do I best use it with the miniDSP or .....

KyleinCowichan 3rd March 2012 06:42 PM

The miniDSP can take analogue in or i2s from an attached minidigi board. I think I'd just fire in analogue over RCA cables from your current DAC. Then, you can use the miniDSP as volume control.

Km

Trismos 4th March 2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleinCowichan (Post 2931916)
The miniDSP can take analogue in or i2s from an attached minidigi board. I think I'd just fire in analogue over RCA cables from your current DAC. Then, you can use the miniDSP as volume control.

Km

But the MiniDSP just converts that analogue back into digital anyways.

minidsp 6th March 2012 08:01 AM

Since the DSP would typically be right after the source, the easiest might be using a miniDSP + miniDIGI combo. Just a thought.

DevTeam

Trismos 8th March 2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minidsp (Post 2935050)
Since the DSP would typically be right after the source, the easiest might be using a miniDSP + miniDIGI combo. Just a thought.

DevTeam

If the source is a computer?

ccclapp 20th March 2012 06:19 AM

I share this concern

I have a minidsp but dont use it because I share the concern of the OP.

I have a high-end multi-channel DAC. The last thing I want is for another A/D, D/A cycle to occur from a far inferior DAC (not offence intended, its just a fact). This is true whether is occurs before or after my DAC.

Why don't your DSP units work in the all-digital domain. That way I could feed the digital signal from my source (PC and other), have your product do DSP (x/o and DRC) but output to digital streams, without ever converting t analog. Then I feed those digital streams into my m-ch DAC to do the conversion.

Am I correct that your OpenDRC does this, but only for 2-ch? To use it for my 8-ch, Id need 4 units. I would much rather do this in a m-ch DIY box than pay for 4 units.

Also is there a way to do this using buffalo DACs? is there a way to bypas the A/D D/A cycle or insert my own diy dac in place of yours?

Please clarify the points made here.

Thanks very much

Soldermizer 21st March 2012 10:32 PM

Just a miniDSP 2x4 owner here, but I think even with I2S in/out, I think there will be resampling to 24 bit, 48KHz too.

I'm currently using the "2x4" as EQ for a Bose 901 (+ room correction) so my audio standards are not the highest :)

dublin78 17th April 2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Also is there a way to do this using buffalo DACs? is there a way to bypas the A/D D/A cycle or insert my own diy dac in place of yours?
This is what I am hoping to do. I want to slip a miniDSP unit between my MUX reciever and my Buffalo II using the 12S in/out. This has been done successfully, as I have asked over on the Twisted Pear forum.

My answer was "It work fine,but you must be aware that this configuration is limited to 24/96 data streams"

ccclapp 17th April 2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dublin78 (Post 2989126)
This is what I am hoping to do. I want to slip a miniDSP unit between my MUX reciever and my Buffalo II using the 12S in/out. This has been done successfully, as I have asked over on the Twisted Pear forum.

My answer was "It work fine,but you must be aware that this configuration is limited to 24/96 data streams"

...interesting!!

1) do you think/know if this could be done for multi-ch (more than 2) by with multi 2x4 mini dsp's or a single larger unit?
2) In any config, am I correct that I want the mini dsp vs the minidigi?
3) do you think/know if a Buffalo II/III can be configured to switch between the "mini-dsp source" and other inputs without the mini-dsp in the chain? My thinking here is for some applications, I will want the minidsp via i2s solution and for others I may want to bypass it (but still use the B-II/III DAC.

If you have a link to the other threads discussing this, that might be useful.

Thanks

knuisje 18th April 2012 07:45 AM

You can use the minidsp with I2S in and out. The minidsp has 2 input channels and 4 output channels. The samplerate MUST be 48kHz. If your source has another samplerate you must use a samplerate converter. For I2S input from your spdif receiver/mux these pins must be connected:

Pin - minidsp - spdif receiver
5 - ground - ground
9 - MCLKIN - MCLKOUT (MUST be 12.288 MHz)
13 - I2S_DATA_IN7&8 - I2S data out
14 - I2S_IN_LRCLK - I2S wordclock out
15 - I2S_IN_BCLK - I2S bitclock out

The sabre dac can be connected using these pins:

Pin - minidsp - sabre dac
6 - ground - ground
16 - I2S_DATA_OUT1&2 - I2S in channel 1&2
17 - I2S_DATA_OUT3&4 - I2S in channel 3&4
20 - I2S_OUT_LRCLK - I2S wordclock in
21 - I2S_OUT_BCLK - I2S bitclock in

The MCLK jumper on the minidsp must be in slave MCLK mode.