I already have a very good DAC, how do I use this with the MiniDSP?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I agree, DEQ2496 is very versatile and is a ready to use product ;). Some users report some noise issues integrating pro equipment (with quite high input/output levels) into consumer audio systems (maybe this refers more to the DCX2496 :confused:).

However, if you are looking for pure digital stereo you could also go for OpenDRC-DI. This opens the world of FIR equalization at a very resonable cost ;)

miniDSP already suggested to use miniDIGI + miniDSP!

So the suggested setup is: digital source (PC/DVD/CD/Streaming client,...) -> miniDIGI -> miniDSP -> miniDIGI -> DAC =>amp

with "->" being digital connections and "=>" being analog connections

hoping this information helps :)

If one is to use the MiniDSP as an active cross-over for multiple speakers, which I want and which I presume most others do also, then no, it doesn't help.

I think curryman has given you a perfect answer to your question, on how to use your fine sounding dac with the minidsp. :confused:

If this isn't helping you, maybe you have to explain better what your question is?

? See my last post. The end part there.

If I understand curryman: "So the suggested setup is: digital source (PC/DVD/CD/Streaming client,...) -> miniDIGI -> miniDSP -> miniDIGI -> DAC =>amp" That gives me one stereo out. Is there something I'm missing? How do I get this to work as an active cross-over network?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
It is possible to add another miniDIGI to the 2x4 in order to have two SPDIF outputs for 4ch digital output. Please have a look to the miniDSP forum (it has been described there) or contact miniDSP how to manage the cabling and to setup the jumpers.

With the 2x8 this solution is not possible. Here you have to DIY multichannel digital outputs. However using e.g. S/PDIF Transeiver Modules from Twisted Pear this should be quite easy (not sure if miniSTREAMER could also be used:confused:)

Hi

I have a Buffalo-III with an EXAu2i USB interface running 8-ch (USB->EXAu2i->B-III) connected via I2S.

1) Do you expect I can insert miniDSP between the EXA I2S output and the B-III I2S input?
2) If so, can I use ANY OF: one 2x4, two 4x4 or one 4x8 miniDSP units, as I prefer, or am I limited in choices
3) In such a config, seems I would not need miniDIGI. Is that correct? [USB -> EXAu2i (via I2S out) -> 8x8 miniDSP (via I2S out) -> Buffalo III => AMP/Speakers
4) If I want to use miniDIGI (to have additional non-usb sources, eg SPDIF etc), can I still connect the EXAu2i card? If so, would the EXA card connect to the miniDIGI (if it has exposed U2I m-ch headers) or to the miniDSP (along with the miniDIGI)?

Thanks for your help!!

Last edited:
Using the miniDSP unit in the digital domain for dsp (or room connection) is relatively simple, and has been explained here well.

If you want to use it for a crossover, then you will need a seperate DAC for each stereo output. A two way speaker would require two DACs one for the low frequency drivers and one for the high frequency drivers.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
@ccclapp:
1) Might be possible, however see answers 2 and 3
2) All miniDSP units have I2S inputs and outputs, though for some units these signals are not available at pin headers. Not sure if your compination works with respect to MCLK, master/slave config, etc.
3) miniDSP is running on a fixed samplerate (48kHz or 96kHz depending on hardware and plugin). Not sure if EXAu2I can be configured to output the audio data at a fixed samplerate or if this depends on the input samplerate (audio file). In the latter case you'll need a sample rate converter (miniDIGI or TP Metronome)
4) miniDSP boards have one I2S input. Therefore switching between miniDIGI and another I2S source will be quite triky if possible at all.

Might be easier to use miniSTREAMER(SPDIF out) -> miniDIGI -> miniDSP -> external DACs (for Stereo input, not with miniDSP 8x8)...

MiniDSP nano digi

Using the miniDSP unit in the digital domain for dsp (or room connection) is relatively simple, and has been explained here well.

If you want to use it for a crossover, then you will need a seperate DAC for each stereo output. A two way speaker would require two DACs one for the low frequency drivers and one for the high frequency drivers.

Am reviving an old thread, as interested to build a 3 Channel digital XO with the nano digi handling data from my computer based system

- Is there a problem that 2 or 3 DAC run in parallel ( jitter, phase, ??)
- I use the ebay DAC AD1865 NOS SRPP, i guess there is no way to have this DAC with 4 or 6 channels, I Shall have to buy another one or a pair
- May the dac be different for different channels ?

BR
Jean-Louis

For those of your wondering about such configuration (all digital miniDSP processing using 3rd party DAC), the new nanoDIGI 2x8 K is the answer. :)

An all digital processor for configurations of up to 2 x IN, 8 x OUT using SPDIF and the same processing power as the 2x8 analog board.

Please see the product page for more info!
nanoDIGI 2x8K | miniDSP

DevTeam

Is there a way to feed the board I2S, or at least get I2S out of it? Are there points I could tap on the board to get this out?

Am reviving an old thread, as interested to build a 3 Channel digital XO with the nano digi handling data from my computer based system

- I use the ebay DAC AD1865 NOS SRPP, i guess there is no way to have this DAC with 4 or 6 channels, I Shall have to buy another one or a pair

BR
Jean-Louis

Up (;-)
Thanks

BR
Jean-Louis

Jean Louis,

- not a problem running the dacs in parallel. they will be sharing the same clock from the same SPDIF IC. Same clock domain.
- Each DAC will need to be stereo :(SPDIF IN - >STEREO DAC)

DevTeam

Well I found that you guys said no on many instances because it's too hard to tap the fine pitch leads. I just don't know any other way to feed a Buffalo III 8 channel dac, and I need all 8 channels and buying 4 different DAC's isn't an option.

If you want to do I2S OUT, it's much easier to use the miniSHARC in this case. It was designed to be I2S IN/OUT. So no need to worry about the interfacing with the Buffalo. An adaptor card for miniSHARC to Buffalo III is actually in the works. We'll announce that soon :)

Devteam

Awesome news and yes I was just starting to look at the miniSHARC and I think that's the route I'll go. Brian told me that you guys would be working on a adapter card for the Buffalo III as well. Does the miniSHARC use all the same plugins and what not as the MiniDSP?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.