MiniDSP controls Ground-Effect Omni speaker system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I have now documented my tiny bi-amped ground-effect omnidirectional speaker system.

The speakers are introduced here:
Tiny ground-effect omnidirectional biamped system - diyAudio

The amplifiers are introduced here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clas...tput-filter-designs-sure-tda7498-example.html

and the details of how the MiniDSP is set up to do "<ka precomp" biquads, and general compensatory shenanigans is on my website, here:
Trevor Marshall - Ground Effect Omnidirectional HiFi Loudspeakers

Thanks to the MiniDSP team for a wonderful product. I am having a ball figuring out all the neat things I can do with it :)

Sincerely
Trevor

Attachments

• TrevorMarshall_ground_effect_omni_speakers_1000x720.jpg
    TrevorMarshall_ground_effect_omni_speakers_1000x720.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 259
Great project! We ought to advertise it better on the miniDSP website (maybe post it in the forum) and even give some sticky to all your hard work! It's really impressive how well you've been documenting the implementation and we hope that many miniDSP give a try to your work... Make us wish we would have some spare time to build one for a test. These are quite intriguing and you've obviously been doing your homework when it comes to design...

Keep up the good work!

DevTeam

Feel free to advertise it or abstract any images. If you need more info, I will happily provide it. Thirty years ago, audio design provided my living, but these days I just engineer this stuff as a hobby, for relaxation :)

As for giving it a try - the Tymphany 830983 should be readily available in Hong Kong, I paid $17 for mine, and they are really the heart of the system. They sound fine without the woofers (but limit the available low bass power, of course). They put out a good sweet sound in a small apartment, such as one typically finds in Hong Kong :) Switching in the MiniDSP compensation makes a HUGE difference in sound quality, not just in tonal balance. A good demonstration of the power of the MiniDSP, in fact :)

I left the compensation in my coefficients file to run the 830983 on its own, all you need to do is use channels 2 and 4, changing the 200Hz highpass crossover to 40Hz, or so :) I did find that a single subwoofer did impair the sound (compared with two woofers).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.