minidsp or dcx2496? First time user

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So im wanting to do a 3 way active system. I figure it would be nice to have the extra candy of all the fancy EQ's and such too.

My question is, what would I get with a minidsp setup that thats better than a dxc2496?
The 2496 can be picked up used for under $300
the minidsp without a case 2x8 is 299+a powersupply $?unknown and maybe a minidigi + $10 per software plugin

According to one of the reviews on here the difference between the dcx/minidsp/deqx was near inaudible.

Im not meaning this to be a product attack, but im genuinely wondering here what the difference is if iwanted to fork over the extra money for it?

I'd choose the DCX2496 but there are some problems. If you are using analog inputs, it expects +20dbu, which is usually much more than most consumer preamp audio outputs are capable of providing. Plus, analog outputs are +20 dbu, much higher than most consumer power amps want to see. Need to attenuate them. If you do not meet the analog input requirements you are throwing away A to D resolution and it may become noisy and simply sound bad. Running balanced or single ended??

What are you going to use as a system master volume control typically between the DCX2496 outputs and the (6) power amps? Something to think about. I do not have an answer.

Parts Express has the DCX2496 on sale for 249.00. Was 288.00.

The MiniDSP does not have a Microphone input for equalization, like the DCX2496. However, I have read the manual on the DCX2496 and I'm not sure how useful the microphone input is since it isn't well documented as to what it does.

There are tweeks and mods for the DCX2496 to improve it, if you want to go there.

I would NOT choose the DCX2496. Instead I would purchase two MiniDSP-in-a-box 2x4 units. You will get all of the functionality of the DCX2496 for less $$$ (even if you went with a used one), although you will have to update/program each unit separately using a computer interface.

But... here is where the MiniDSP really blows away the DCX... if you purchase the "advanced 2x4 plug in" you can program the advanced biquads and get unlimited flexibility in the crossover functions that you implement. This is a significant step up in utility compared to the DCX...

I will soon be releasing some free spreadsheet based tools for active crossover design that let's you specify any transfer function that the 2x4 MiniDSP can implement. Combined with the MiniDSP, it's a leap forward in loudspeaker crossover design capability in a free package.

-Charlie

for + $50 he gets the 2x8 that can work with 24/96khz sample rate

What does 24/96khz get me over the 48kz on the 2x4? Ill admit im way out of my realm when it comes to the digital realm and electronics. Isnt all cd music 48khz?

As far as my connection chain. I havnt even picked anything out yet. But its going to look something like this. Somesort of A/V processor center-->minidsp/dcx-->Amps-->speakers.

I dont even know if its possible but from a purely budget perspective I'd even like to be able to use a A/V center to power everything as long as i can get one with 6 channels, just to start me off. I dont think thats an option though so ill have to fork over for some amps.

if you purchase the "advanced 2x4 plug in" you can program the advanced biquads and get unlimited flexibility in the crossover functions that you implement. This is a significant step up in utility compared to the DCX...

Im not sure what that means lol. biquads? I thought the dcx gave you full crossover control?

I dont even know if its possible but from a purely budget perspective I'd even like to be able to use a A/V center to power everything as long as i can get one with 6 channels, just to start me off. I dont think thats an option though so ill have to fork over for some amps.

You certainly could do this, and it would probably be the simplest way to start.........although I think after a while you wouldn't be happy with it. You'd need one with 5.1 in, and you would need to find one with a defeatable sub crossover. A remote volume control is a plus, and if you could find one that takes the analog in to analog out for the volume control without any AD then that would be better yet.

I'm currently using 2 2x4 units for 4 way active speakers. Computer > DAC> miniDSP > amps. A miniDigi is in my future, as well as an 8-channel volume control to go after the miniDSP. IMO this is the best way to do it it, to send the full unattenuated signal through the DSPs and out the single DA stage.

You certainly could do this, and it would probably be the simplest way to start.........although I think after a while you wouldn't be happy with it. You'd need one with 5.1 in, and you would need to find one with a defeatable sub crossover. A remote volume control is a plus, and if you could find one that takes the analog in to analog out for the volume control without any AD then that would be better yet.

I'm currently using 2 2x4 units for 4 way active speakers. Computer > DAC> miniDSP > amps. A miniDigi is in my future, as well as an 8-channel volume control to go after the miniDSP. IMO this is the best way to do it it, to send the full unattenuated signal through the DSPs and out the single DA stage.

I definitely would upgrade later but for the moment I dont understand How I could make it work? For starters those channels would all be broken up into front/center/back wouldnt it? Since the multiple channels are made for home theater surround sound. Is it possible to make them all play stereo for a tri-amp system?

And second how would I route the minidsp x-over signal back into the receiver for each channel? Im staring at pictures of multiple A/V units and I dont see any that have separate "ins" for each channel.

And if it did work out id need a way to attenuate the volume on each channel so i could match the different channels.

Last edited:
You'd need a receiver with multi-channel inputs (bottom left of pic): FR, FL, C, RR, LR, Sub. You could use these for your six channels, as long as you can turn off the crossover for the sub. You can do channel trims as well........this would be a very simple solution to get you going.

onkyo-595-receiver-rear-panel-closeup.jpg

You'd need a receiver with multi-channel inputs (bottom left of pic): FR, FL, C, RR, LR, Sub. You could use these for your six channels, as long as you can turn off the crossover for the sub. You can do channel trims as well........this would be a very simple solution to get you going.

Gotcha I kinda understand that. Little wonky on how the cabling is all gunna match up when the center/sub are both mono? Yet id need it to "out" a stereo signal for the third channel.

Past that, how would you attenuate the power on each channel? The A/V reciever is going to move each channels power output up and down the same. I need to be able to lower/raise each channel independently to match driver sensitivity. Then i can use the A/V as the master volume.

No, each of those channels are mono, notice the L & R. You'd need 1/4 to 1/8 adapters, and just run a single rca from each output of the miniDSP you use, to the (mono) input you want to use for that channel on the receiver. Totally disregard how the inputs are labeled, and just look at them as individual channels. The AVR will have individual trims for each channel, used in a surround setup to match the level of all the separate speakers (in your case each driver).

If you don't get a AVR that has a defeatable sub crossover, this is all moot. I'm not real familiar with receivers so I wouldn't know which one to look for, but you ought to be able to get going for $200-300 or even less.....

You can probably find a usable A/V receiver for under $100. Anything without HDMI audio is pretty much obsolete now. Thrift stores, pawn shops, classifieds. "Bass management" (the built-in subwoofer crossover, which can usually be defeated) may not apply to analog 5.1 inputs.

Does this mean I loose the ability to play in stereo then, and it would be a completely mono setup

No, each of those channels are mono, notice the L & R. You'd need 1/4 to 1/8 adapters, and just run a single rca from each output of the miniDSP you use, to the (mono) input you want to use for that channel on the receiver. Totally disregard how the inputs are labeled, and just look at them as individual channels. The AVR will have individual trims for each channel, used in a surround setup to match the level of all the separate speakers (in your case each driver).

If you don't get a AVR that has a defeatable sub crossover, this is all moot. I'm not real familiar with receivers so I wouldn't know which one to look for, but you ought to be able to get going for $200-300 or even less.....

Look, I hope someone else can explain this more simply. You rneed six channels in.....and the avr doesn't care about left or right, you can route them any way you like. You do realize that a 3 way active speaker will have 3 inputs (what I referred to as a "mono" connection)from the DSP to the power amp, and that each speaker (l and r) will be set up this way?

I don't want to tell you not to do this......but active speakers can be complicated, there's many variables involved.

Im not he least bit intimidated by this setup but its my first active XO and my first avr, so there will be a learning curve to properly research before i build. Thats why im here...
When im staring at what appear to be mono inputs the first thing that comes to mind isnt that the avr manufacture gives me the ability the route two separate mono inputs for a center or sub channel and combine them into a channel that has left and right audio like you would have in a standard "front L + R".
Typically Id assume they specifically block that so they force you to buy there avr AND there amps if you wanna bi/tri amp.

My assumption at this point is that ive been looking at this wrong. That the avr doesnt do any fancy routing, but rather its all been correctly routed by the mini dsp stack and the avr is just acting as a sort of signal pass-through for each channel input?

My assumption at this point is that ive been looking at this wrong. That the avr doesnt do any fancy routing, but rather its all been correctly routed by the mini dsp stack and the avr is just acting as a sort of signal pass-through for each channel input?

I dont know your receiver but it looks that way. you have 6 inputs so you can make 3 way crossover

Last edited:
You're using the AVR as individual amps for each driver, not as "channels". This setup presumes a source that is upstream of the dsp. A 5.1 AVR isn't going to work for you because it doesn't have an amp for the "sub" channel.

They don't "appear" to be mono inputs, they are mono inputs. People that want to bi-amp/ tri-amp don't use AVRs. If you're going to that trouble because you think it matters, then you want something better than the marginal amp in an AVR. In particular, you are probably looking for more power to the woofers.

Im not he least bit intimidated by this setup but its my first active XO and my first avr, so there will be a learning curve to properly research before i build. Thats why im here...
When im staring at what appear to be mono inputs the first thing that comes to mind isnt that the avr manufacture gives me the ability the route two separate mono inputs for a center or sub channel and combine them into a channel that has left and right audio like you would have in a standard "front L + R".
Typically Id assume they specifically block that so they force you to buy there avr AND there amps if you wanna bi/tri amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.