minidsp or dcx2496? First time user - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 3rd January 2012, 06:56 PM   #1
caz is offline caz  United States
diyAudio Member

Default minidsp or dcx2496? First time user

So im wanting to do a 3 way active system. I figure it would be nice to have the extra candy of all the fancy EQ's and such too.

My question is, what would I get with a minidsp setup that thats better than a dxc2496?
The 2496 can be picked up used for under $300
the minidsp without a case 2x8 is 299+a powersupply $?unknown and maybe a minidigi + $10 per software plugin

According to one of the reviews on here the difference between the dcx/minidsp/deqx was near inaudible.

Im not meaning this to be a product attack, but im genuinely wondering here what the difference is if iwanted to fork over the extra money for it?
Old 3rd January 2012, 08:00 PM   #2
stoc005 is offline stoc005  United States
diyAudio Member

I'd choose the DCX2496 but there are some problems. If you are using analog inputs, it expects +20dbu, which is usually much more than most consumer preamp audio outputs are capable of providing. Plus, analog outputs are +20 dbu, much higher than most consumer power amps want to see. Need to attenuate them. If you do not meet the analog input requirements you are throwing away A to D resolution and it may become noisy and simply sound bad. Running balanced or single ended??

What are you going to use as a system master volume control typically between the DCX2496 outputs and the (6) power amps? Something to think about. I do not have an answer.

Parts Express has the DCX2496 on sale for 249.00. Was 288.00.

The MiniDSP does not have a Microphone input for equalization, like the DCX2496. However, I have read the manual on the DCX2496 and I'm not sure how useful the microphone input is since it isn't well documented as to what it does.

There are tweeks and mods for the DCX2496 to improve it, if you want to go there.
Old 3rd January 2012, 08:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

minidsp 2x8 will be released in a box the later in march
Old 3rd January 2012, 09:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I would NOT choose the DCX2496. Instead I would purchase two MiniDSP-in-a-box 2x4 units. You will get all of the functionality of the DCX2496 for less $$$ (even if you went with a used one), although you will have to update/program each unit separately using a computer interface.

But... here is where the MiniDSP really blows away the DCX... if you purchase the "advanced 2x4 plug in" you can program the advanced biquads and get unlimited flexibility in the crossover functions that you implement. This is a significant step up in utility compared to the DCX...

I will soon be releasing some free spreadsheet based tools for active crossover design that let's you specify any transfer function that the 2x4 MiniDSP can implement. Combined with the MiniDSP, it's a leap forward in loudspeaker crossover design capability in a free package.

-Charlie
Old 3rd January 2012, 09:20 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

for + $50 he gets the 2x8 that can work with 24/96khz sample rate
Old 3rd January 2012, 10:32 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lduarte1973 View Post
for + $50 he gets the 2x8 that can work with 24/96khz sample rate
What does 24/96khz get me over the 48kz on the 2x4? Ill admit im way out of my realm when it comes to the digital realm and electronics. Isnt all cd music 48khz?

As far as my connection chain. I havnt even picked anything out yet. But its going to look something like this. Somesort of A/V processor center-->minidsp/dcx-->Amps-->speakers.

I dont even know if its possible but from a purely budget perspective I'd even like to be able to use a A/V center to power everything as long as i can get one with 6 channels, just to start me off. I dont think thats an option though so ill have to fork over for some amps.

Quote:
if you purchase the "advanced 2x4 plug in" you can program the advanced biquads and get unlimited flexibility in the crossover functions that you implement. This is a significant step up in utility compared to the DCX...
Im not sure what that means lol. biquads? I thought the dcx gave you full crossover control?
Old 3rd January 2012, 11:22 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz View Post
I dont even know if its possible but from a purely budget perspective I'd even like to be able to use a A/V center to power everything as long as i can get one with 6 channels, just to start me off. I dont think thats an option though so ill have to fork over for some amps.
You certainly could do this, and it would probably be the simplest way to start.........although I think after a while you wouldn't be happy with it. You'd need one with 5.1 in, and you would need to find one with a defeatable sub crossover. A remote volume control is a plus, and if you could find one that takes the analog in to analog out for the volume control without any AD then that would be better yet.

I'm currently using 2 2x4 units for 4 way active speakers. Computer > DAC> miniDSP > amps. A miniDigi is in my future, as well as an 8-channel volume control to go after the miniDSP. IMO this is the best way to do it it, to send the full unattenuated signal through the DSPs and out the single DA stage.
Old 4th January 2012, 12:05 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natehansen66 View Post
You certainly could do this, and it would probably be the simplest way to start.........although I think after a while you wouldn't be happy with it. You'd need one with 5.1 in, and you would need to find one with a defeatable sub crossover. A remote volume control is a plus, and if you could find one that takes the analog in to analog out for the volume control without any AD then that would be better yet.

I'm currently using 2 2x4 units for 4 way active speakers. Computer > DAC> miniDSP > amps. A miniDigi is in my future, as well as an 8-channel volume control to go after the miniDSP. IMO this is the best way to do it it, to send the full unattenuated signal through the DSPs and out the single DA stage.
I definitely would upgrade later but for the moment I dont understand How I could make it work? For starters those channels would all be broken up into front/center/back wouldnt it? Since the multiple channels are made for home theater surround sound. Is it possible to make them all play stereo for a tri-amp system?

And second how would I route the minidsp x-over signal back into the receiver for each channel? Im staring at pictures of multiple A/V units and I dont see any that have separate "ins" for each channel.

And if it did work out id need a way to attenuate the volume on each channel so i could match the different channels.

Last edited by caz; 4th January 2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 4th January 2012, 12:53 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

You'd need a receiver with multi-channel inputs (bottom left of pic): FR, FL, C, RR, LR, Sub. You could use these for your six channels, as long as you can turn off the crossover for the sub. You can do channel trims as well........this would be a very simple solution to get you going.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 4th January 2012, 01:12 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natehansen66 View Post
You'd need a receiver with multi-channel inputs (bottom left of pic): FR, FL, C, RR, LR, Sub. You could use these for your six channels, as long as you can turn off the crossover for the sub. You can do channel trims as well........this would be a very simple solution to get you going.
Gotcha I kinda understand that. Little wonky on how the cabling is all gunna match up when the center/sub are both mono? Yet id need it to "out" a stereo signal for the third channel.

Past that, how would you attenuate the power on each channel? The A/V reciever is going to move each channels power output up and down the same. I need to be able to lower/raise each channel independently to match driver sensitivity. Then i can use the A/V as the master volume.

Hide this!Advertise here!