minidsp or dcx2496? First time user - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 4th January 2012, 02:37 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

No, each of those channels are mono, notice the L & R. You'd need 1/4 to 1/8 adapters, and just run a single rca from each output of the miniDSP you use, to the (mono) input you want to use for that channel on the receiver. Totally disregard how the inputs are labeled, and just look at them as individual channels. The AVR will have individual trims for each channel, used in a surround setup to match the level of all the separate speakers (in your case each driver).

If you don't get a AVR that has a defeatable sub crossover, this is all moot. I'm not real familiar with receivers so I wouldn't know which one to look for, but you ought to be able to get going for $200-300 or even less.....
Old 4th January 2012, 02:38 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Doh! You would need 7.1 in, as you couldn't route that sub input of the 5.1 to an amp channel. Still doable though.....just imagine 8 mono ins (fr, fl, c, rb, lb, rr, fr,sub). This would give you 6 power amp output channels, with one extra.

Last edited by natehansen66; 4th January 2012 at 02:52 AM. Reason: confused!
Old 4th January 2012, 03:02 AM   #13
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

You can probably find a usable A/V receiver for under $100. Anything without HDMI audio is pretty much obsolete now. Thrift stores, pawn shops, classifieds. "Bass management" (the built-in subwoofer crossover, which can usually be defeated) may not apply to analog 5.1 inputs.
Old 4th January 2012, 03:12 AM   #14
caz is offline caz  United States
diyAudio Member

Does this mean I loose the ability to play in stereo then, and it would be a completely mono setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by natehansen66 View Post
No, each of those channels are mono, notice the L & R. You'd need 1/4 to 1/8 adapters, and just run a single rca from each output of the miniDSP you use, to the (mono) input you want to use for that channel on the receiver. Totally disregard how the inputs are labeled, and just look at them as individual channels. The AVR will have individual trims for each channel, used in a surround setup to match the level of all the separate speakers (in your case each driver).

If you don't get a AVR that has a defeatable sub crossover, this is all moot. I'm not real familiar with receivers so I wouldn't know which one to look for, but you ought to be able to get going for $200-300 or even less.....
Old 4th January 2012, 03:39 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Look, I hope someone else can explain this more simply. You rneed six channels in.....and the avr doesn't care about left or right, you can route them any way you like. You do realize that a 3 way active speaker will have 3 inputs (what I referred to as a "mono" connection)from the DSP to the power amp, and that each speaker (l and r) will be set up this way?

I don't want to tell you not to do this......but active speakers can be complicated, there's many variables involved.
Old 4th January 2012, 05:02 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Im not he least bit intimidated by this setup but its my first active XO and my first avr, so there will be a learning curve to properly research before i build. Thats why im here...
When im staring at what appear to be mono inputs the first thing that comes to mind isnt that the avr manufacture gives me the ability the route two separate mono inputs for a center or sub channel and combine them into a channel that has left and right audio like you would have in a standard "front L + R".
Typically Id assume they specifically block that so they force you to buy there avr AND there amps if you wanna bi/tri amp.

My assumption at this point is that ive been looking at this wrong. That the avr doesnt do any fancy routing, but rather its all been correctly routed by the mini dsp stack and the avr is just acting as a sort of signal pass-through for each channel input?
Old 4th January 2012, 05:36 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz View Post
My assumption at this point is that ive been looking at this wrong. That the avr doesnt do any fancy routing, but rather its all been correctly routed by the mini dsp stack and the avr is just acting as a sort of signal pass-through for each channel input?
I dont know your receiver but it looks that way. you have 6 inputs so you can make 3 way crossover

Last edited by lduarte1973; 4th January 2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 4th January 2012, 07:48 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That's it! In and out........just a little over-complication, something I'm quite good at
Old 4th January 2012, 10:24 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

lol gravy that makes life so much easier. Now i just gotta go hunt down a cheap avr with 6+ inputs and a sub xover defeat
Old 25th January 2012, 10:11 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

You're using the AVR as individual amps for each driver, not as "channels". This setup presumes a source that is upstream of the dsp. A 5.1 AVR isn't going to work for you because it doesn't have an amp for the "sub" channel.

They don't "appear" to be mono inputs, they are mono inputs. People that want to bi-amp/ tri-amp don't use AVRs. If you're going to that trouble because you think it matters, then you want something better than the marginal amp in an AVR. In particular, you are probably looking for more power to the woofers.

Quote:
Im not he least bit intimidated by this setup but its my first active XO and my first avr, so there will be a learning curve to properly research before i build. Thats why im here...
When im staring at what appear to be mono inputs the first thing that comes to mind isnt that the avr manufacture gives me the ability the route two separate mono inputs for a center or sub channel and combine them into a channel that has left and right audio like you would have in a standard "front L + R".
Typically Id assume they specifically block that so they force you to buy there avr AND there amps if you wanna bi/tri amp.

Hide this!Advertise here!