audiophile sound from miniDSP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
A general answer is quite difficult
Using a digital crossover/EQ like the miniDSP you will definitely be much more flexible developing the crossover. Realizing the same number of filters and EQs using analog OP based circuitry can be quite complex.
Thus it also depends on your speakers and the amount of EQ they need.
Many community members (including me) tested the miniDSP with very good results, some published (measured and listened) comparisons to other digital crossovers (Behringer, DEQX).

the rca analog in of the minidsp only accepts 2v (standart cd player output) , only the minidsp board 8x8 accepts more than 2v

RCA input: 2Vrms (8 dBu) in unbalanced mode
Phoenix terminal: 4Vrms (14 dBu) unbalanced OR 8Vrms (20dBu) balanced

i dont know if you can do this instead : use the preamp only before the woofer amp since the tweets dont need much power.

Last edited:
both the amps (for woofer and tweeter) i have are having volume control options. so may be i dont need any preamp i guess. if i ever need one to control the volume of overall system...then i need to connect preamp before miniDSP. in that case what are all the things i should take care to properly match preamp with miniDSP?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
For best results (signal/noise ratio, distortions) you should keep an eye on a proper gain structure:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diyaudio-com-articles/186018-what-gain-structure.html

As mentioned by lduarte1973 you should add a miniDIGI in order to go into miniDSP digital using SPDIF out of the O'play. This avoids additional (and unnecessary) DA/AD conversion. You won't need a preamplifier and you don't have to take care of 0,9V vs. 2V in this case
Volume control should be done after the DSP for best S/N and resolution. You can use the build in volume control option of the miniDSP (digital volume contol using a simple mono pot, take a look on the manual) or a 4ch control between miniDSP and amps e.g. using a suitable pot.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Output Impedance of the miniDSP is around 560Ohm, thus there should be no problem with usual input impedances of amplifiers.

However a short google search showed, that input sensitivity of both norge 2060 amp (500mV) and Topping amp (200mV) is quite low (miniDSP 0,9V). Here you could think about resistor networks to adjust sensitivities.

Output Impedance of the miniDSP is around 560Ohm, thus there should be no problem with usual input impedances of amplifiers.

However a short google search showed, that input sensitivity of both norge 2060 amp (500mV) and Topping amp (200mV) is quite low (miniDSP 0,9V). Here you could think about resistor networks to adjust sensitivities.

you mean bringing down the 0.9V output of miniDSP to 500mV and 200mV using voltage divider?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.