Line driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One of the "issues" with the miniDSP is the low output voltage.

I have an amp right now (an NHT A1 monobloc) that requires 1.7V for full output. I didn't realize that until I tried to run it off the miniDSP, and found it anemic driving an Aura NS10-794-4A in a 15L closed box. A 240W PE plate amp provided much more grunt.

From an audio car audio install, I have an AudioControl Four.1. This box has two inputs (two sets of two inputs, really) and four outputs. (It also has EQ, though it's defeatable, a good thing because it's of no use in my application.) It includes a line driver with 20dB of gain.

Can anyone think of a reason not to stick a 12V wall wart on the AudioControl box to get the signal level up where I need it?

(I also have an Art Cleanbox, which I could use instead as the NHT A1 does have a balanced input. But the Cleanbox rolls off below 40Hz, and the Four.1 is flat below ~10Hz. The Cleanbox also noisier than I expect the AudioControl box to me. Any reason to use the Cleanbox instead, given that the length of the run from miniDSP to amp is <2m, and while I have RCA-terminated cables of suitable length I would have to buy a short XLR-terminated cable.)

The miniDSP unbalanced output is indeed rated up to 0.9vrms. If the sensitivity of your amp is 1.7Vrms, a miniDSP balanced unit (used as unbalanced) could indeed be a better way.

With this said, a miniDSP unbalanced + line driver (e.g. the audio control unit) could indeed be a way to boost the signal and go balanced. I'd be careful while choosing this component with this said as Car Audio sometimes doesn't have the best SNR in these low cost line driver. Noise floor not being as much as an issue.

Hope this helps

DevTeam

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.