Optimal voltage for 2x4? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 26th August 2011, 09:51 PM   #1
Frosteh is offline Frosteh  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Optimal voltage for 2x4?

What is the optimal power supply voltage for the 2x4 unbalanced? USB is 5V, but I have seen various posts on the minidsp forum suggesting that 12V is better.
Old 27th August 2011, 05:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

anyone?
Old 28th August 2011, 02:48 PM   #3
trevmar is offline trevmar  United States
diyAudio Member

I measured my miniDSP 2x4.
When applying an external voltage to the green connector, I tested over a range of 10V to 24V. The required current dropped as the voltage rose, as is typical with a switching power supply. I seem to remember the total current was less than 100mA even at the lowest supply voltages.

So there really is no optimum voltage, the switch supply will take any voltage up to its rated maximum, and process it efficiently.

Hope that helps
Old 28th August 2011, 04:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevmar View Post
I measured my miniDSP 2x4.
When applying an external voltage to the green connector, I tested over a range of 10V to 24V. The required current dropped as the voltage rose, as is typical with a switching power supply. I seem to remember the total current was less than 100mA even at the lowest supply voltages.

So there really is no optimum voltage, the switch supply will take any voltage up to its rated maximum, and process it efficiently.

Hope that helps
Indeed that does help. Do you assume it'd be the same with 5V?
Old 28th August 2011, 04:46 PM   #5
trevmar is offline trevmar  United States
diyAudio Member

I didn't test below 10V. I would be surprised if the 5V level was very sensitive, I haven't noticed any problems when plugging the USB plug into a power adapter which I know is closer to 4.5V than 5V
Old 28th August 2011, 05:45 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevmar View Post
I didn't test below 10V. I would be surprised if the 5V level was very sensitive, I haven't noticed any problems when plugging the USB plug into a power adapter which I know is closer to 4.5V than 5V
Awesome thanks for your help! I ordered a 5V switching psu off ebay earlier so hopefully that will be fine to power all the miniDSP's and a few LED's
Old 29th August 2011, 01:13 AM   #7
minidsp is offline minidsp  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Already well answered by Trevmar, just a short post to indeed confirm that there are no optimal voltage as the on-board switching regulator will indeed do its magic.

DevTeam
Old 29th August 2011, 07:10 PM   #8
hm4nine is offline hm4nine  Europe
diyAudio Member

I have my (personal) problems with switching supplies, based on hearing experiences. May be I am an “old analog guy“. It would be nice, if minidsp could supply instructions, how to overcome their switching supplies on their boards.....
Old 31st August 2011, 07:40 AM   #9
minidsp is offline minidsp  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

@Hm4nine,

Apologies but we're not sure to understand the question.
Are you asking how to remove the switching regulator (running @ 1.25MHz so well above audio band) to run your own linear supply for the 3.3V?

Not sure you would get a great benefit on this one...

DevTeam
Old 31st August 2011, 10:53 AM   #10
hm4nine is offline hm4nine  Europe
diyAudio Member

My intention goes mainly towards the analog supply part of the output stage, where some linear opamps probably need a symmetrical supply. May be there won´t be any audible difference between switched and analog supplies for the 3.3 Volts. Because the 2x4 kit has only one supply input all internal voltages must be generated from that single voltage.

Hide this!Advertise here!