MiniDSP-based system GALLERY - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > miniDSP

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 4th August 2011, 03:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up MiniDSP-based system GALLERY

Show us your MiniDSP builds....!

This is my latest. 2x4 MiniDSP, Sure 4*100W amp, and SMPS in a no-frill case.

Click the image to open in full size.

Great attention has been given in the operational aspect. It could be turned on and off without that nasty thump so prevalent with active systems.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 4th August 2011, 04:17 PM   #2
boris81 is offline boris81  United States
diyAudio Member

Cool! Nice work, gainphile!

I'm interested in building the same thing and I have a few questions.

1. I want to have remote controlled gain. I know the miniDSP boards have headers to connect to a pot. Have you investigated any solutions that can plug in directly? Are the miniDSP gain control headers digital and is attenuating the miniDSP analog outputs a better place to do this?

2. I will need more channels, 6 at least. I'm thinking of making 2 modules, each consisting of a 2x4 miniDSP board and a Sure 4x100W amp. Can I use a 2x4 miniDSP board to implement 1 speaker channel or are the miniDSP plugins strictly working in a pair of channels? In other words can I use 1 miniDSP board to route to a tweeter, mid and a woofer or am I restricted to doing a pair of tweeter and mid on 1 board and the pair of woofers on another?
Old 4th August 2011, 06:28 PM   #3
doug20 is offline doug20  United States
diyAudio Member

has anyone used a DCX box yet ? I have a DCX and 1124p box that I could rip apart and use. I also have some Ashley DBX boxes around unused. Im just curious if someone else has tried these??
Old 5th August 2011, 06:19 AM   #4
minidsp is offline minidsp  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Great stuff and nice work!

That's a big power supply for that 400W amp.. Meanwell?

BTW, great idea on having a gallery thread. Let me put a sticky on this thread.

DevTeam
Old 9th August 2011, 07:44 AM   #5
knuisje is offline knuisje  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Thought I can show my minidsp based pre-amplifier as well.

It's basically a minidsp & minidigi with two pcm1794 dacs connected by I2S. Also included is a pcb for remote controlled switching 4 digital and 2 analog inputs and volume control. Volume can also be controlled by a rotary encoder. It displays the info on a vfd display.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frontdsp.jpg (235.1 KB, 2593 views)
File Type: jpg backdsp.jpg (251.2 KB, 2498 views)
File Type: jpg dsp-internals-small.jpg (918.8 KB, 2519 views)
Old 15th August 2011, 07:12 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Knuisje,

nice setup! Looks like you used twisted pair dacs, right? What about the volume control? Analog or digital domain? miniDSP or DAC?

How did you realize the digital optical inputs? Simply paralleling Toslink receiver to the build in of the miniDIGI?

I am about to realize a similar project with a miniDSP 2x8 and multichannel analog volume control (PGA).
Old 17th August 2011, 04:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi curryman,

Yes, I used 2 COD and IVY pcb's from Twisted Pear. The volume control is in the digital domain. I used a microcontroller to generate 0 - 3.3V for the master volume control of the minidsp.

The new optical inputs are TORX147 receivers. I removed the 47uH smd inductors from the minidigi so the original receivers are cut off from the power. I connected the new receivers with wires at the same points as the original ones.
Old 18th August 2011, 07:50 AM   #8
minidsp is offline minidsp  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Very neat front panel and enclosure! Is this LCD + Rotary encoder + source selection a project of yours? You should sell a little kit to go with it, I'm sure that a lot of people would love it! :-)

Quite a lot of things under the hood and thanks for sharing your trick for the optical receivers...

Devteam
Old 18th August 2011, 09:45 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yes, I developed the control board on my own with some support of other Dutch DIYers. It can switch between 4 digital and 2 analog sources using relays and controls the master volume of the minidsp by generating a voltage. Also you see connections for a rotary encoder (volume control), IR receiver (volume & source selection), pushbutton (source selection) and LCD display. Everything is controlled by an AVR microcontroller. A standard Philips remote with RC5 codes can be used and the board can learn the systemcode of the remote.

I'm using the board for one year now and it's functioning very stable, haven't had a single issue with it. Several other Dutch and Belgian DIY-ers are using this board as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSPControlBoard.jpg (378.3 KB, 1130 views)
Old 19th August 2011, 10:16 AM   #10
kike01 is offline kike01  Spain
diyAudio Member

Hi knuisje:

Congratulations for your work. Its a very useful concept.

Do you know if the analog+ digital selector board is available?.

Thansk

Hide this!Advertise here!